Any way to hide running apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Goop, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Goop macrumors newbie

I have an administered account set up on an iMac which only allows access to iTunes and runs Simple Finder. I'd really like to be able to run some other applications "in the background" that my guests couldn't see (or access), like auto-backup software and maybe something like EvoCam to monitor the iMac's iSight camera, remotely.

Is there any way to "hide" open, running applications securely? What would be awesome would be if, under fast-user-switching, I could actually keep the open apps running in the hidden (admin) user account.

2. jbuk macrumors regular

I don't know whether it hides them in the still-in-the-dock-but-windows-hidden or the proper way, but you could try adding them as login items for the account and checking the 'Hide' checkbox.

3. Goop thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm. That's a good idea. Login items are for all accounts. I'll try making the managed account the auto-login account and see if that works.

4. str1f3 macrumors 68000

You can use an app called Spirited Away. It hides the apps you want to hide after a certain period of time you determine. Great app!