Any way to hide the text message preview?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bbplayer5, Jul 8, 2007.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

The little preview window that comes up on your "slide to unlock" screen... Can you get rid of that? I really dont want my phone laying around and have anyone read it when it beeps.

2. Zolk macrumors member

Zolk

Settings > General > Passcode Lock > Set "Show SMS Preview" to off

3. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Well, if you didn't, they could just pick up your phone and read the text message when they saw it vibrate, right? Seems if you're getting texts you don't want others to read, then you should probably have a pass code. :p

5. Zolk macrumors member

Zolk

It looks like it. I haven't found any other way to turn off the preview. However, if you're concerned with others reading your messages than a passcode might be a good idea.

6. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

The reason i dont want a passcode is because its just another step I have to do, to make a phone call when driving :p

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I couldn't agree more. This is a PITA with my Blackberry but it's a work thing I can't turn off. And yes, there are some of us who get text messages that others shouldn't read. ;) Jealous? :p

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Not really. I just know better than to make that kind of communication over a non-secure network and publically-accessible device. ;)

9. nevesis macrumors 6502

I hope this is addressed in a software update so that you do not need a passcode to shut off the SMS txt preview.

Just the other day my girlfriend sent me a dirty xxx rated txt message and someone at my job glanced over and if i did not react quick enough could have saw the first sentence of the message. :p

My $50 Verizon phone had this feature, Apple should too.

10. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Honesty if you're that worried about it just ask that people not send you "sensitive" e-mails while you're at work. Thats what I do. :p

Work around things like that.

11. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

12. tibby05 macrumors member

Hint is to set passcode lock to on, turn SMS preview to off, AND THEN if you dont want to enter ur passcode everytime you unlock it, you turn require passcode for 4 hours in the passcode lock settings.