Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
The little preview window that comes up on your "slide to unlock" screen... Can you get rid of that? I really dont want my phone laying around and have anyone read it when it beeps.

Zolk

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2006
Settings > General > Passcode Lock > Set "Show SMS Preview" to off

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
But do I have to have a password then?

Well, if you didn't, they could just pick up your phone and read the text message when they saw it vibrate, right? Seems if you're getting texts you don't want others to read, then you should probably have a pass code. :p

Zolk

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2006
It looks like it. I haven't found any other way to turn off the preview. However, if you're concerned with others reading your messages than a passcode might be a good idea.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
The reason i dont want a passcode is because its just another step I have to do, to make a phone call when driving :p

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The reason i dont want a passcode is because its just another step I have to do, to make a phone call when driving :p
I couldn't agree more. This is a PITA with my Blackberry but it's a work thing I can't turn off. And yes, there are some of us who get text messages that others shouldn't read. ;) Jealous? :p

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I couldn't agree more. This is a PITA with my Blackberry but it's a work thing I can't turn off. And yes, there are some of us who get text messages that others shouldn't read. ;) Jealous? :p

Not really. I just know better than to make that kind of communication over a non-secure network and publically-accessible device. ;)

nevesis

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
I hope this is addressed in a software update so that you do not need a passcode to shut off the SMS txt preview.

Just the other day my girlfriend sent me a dirty xxx rated txt message and someone at my job glanced over and if i did not react quick enough could have saw the first sentence of the message. :p

My $50 Verizon phone had this feature, Apple should too.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
Honesty if you're that worried about it just ask that people not send you "sensitive" e-mails while you're at work. Thats what I do. :p

Work around things like that.

tibby05

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2008
Hint is to set passcode lock to on, turn SMS preview to off, AND THEN if you dont want to enter ur passcode everytime you unlock it, you turn require passcode for 4 hours in the passcode lock settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.