Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheChemist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
I have an alu iMac, the kind that apple says could not support x64 bootcamp 2.

Having done a bit of research, I followed the instructions on installing the x64 mac pro bootcamp drivers on this computer, and since then have been using Vista x64.

Now, with snow leopard, I'd like to upgrade to bootcamp 3, and once again I am faced with apple's "this machine isn't supported".

Can someone point me in the right direction to get bootcamp 3 x64 drivers installed?

Would I have to dig up the first gen mac pro x64 drivers?
Is apple supporting x64 on the first gen mac pro?
Should I just install every single x64 driver off of the snow leopard installation disc?

Thanks for all the answers to come :)

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
I asume you are still using Vista 64.

You need to log in as administrator and disable the user account control. Then you need to reboot to make this stick.

Then go to your DVD drive and select with Windows Explorer the folder drivers/Apple/bootcamp64.msi from your Snow Leopard DVD. Run this installer. For some systems with Intel chipsets it gives better results to first go to the Intel folder and run the Chipset64. You can do that if you get strange results that give trouble with Bluetooth and USB.

Some people have problems with the HFS+ driver that lets you read OS x files from Windows. It causes blue screen of death on some systems. If that happens, you can disable the driver file in Windows/system32/drivers/HFS.

TheChemist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
Thank you so very much!

I followed your directions and everything seems to be working perfectly.

Once again thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.