ANy way to install OSX without DVD (SSD + Kernel panic)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jimmypopjr, Jul 21, 2009.

1. jimmypopjr macrumors regular

I'm trying to get OSX installed onto my new intel x25-m SSD, but it just won't happen.

Trying to boot from my install DVD that came with my new Mac Pro throws up a kernel panic after about a minute or two of loading.

Trying to boot from my store-bought Leopard DVD does nothing. After restarting it just sits there and the DVD stops spinning after a couple minutes.

Is there another way I can turn my new SSD into the boot drive? This is driving me nuts.

Thanks a bunch for any input.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You already have OS X installed on one of the other internal drives, right?

And the SSD is internal?

Just clone to the SSD, then make it as the startup disc.

3. jimmypopjr thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I've got another drive with osx. I'm on my iPhone in a meeting at the moment - can I clone with disk utility or will I need another program? Will it be essentially the same as installing directly to the disk freshly?

Thanks for the quick reply!

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Of course, the problem could be either the DVD, the Superdrive, or the SSD.

Doing a clone will obviously get around a problematic DVD or Superdrive so that's a good first step. It won't be like doing a fresh install... it's simply duplicating your existing install onto the new drive. However, that can be a good thing as you won't have to do a bunch of tweaking, setup, and application installs.

From what I've read you do this by booting from your Leopard DVD and running Disk Utility from there... then you choose "restore" with your old OSX install as the source and your SSD as the target.

5. davidlv macrumors 65816

You do not need to boot from the DVD install disk. Boot from the OSX drive, quit all applications and run Disk Utility, click once on the Boot drive in the left column, and then click on the Restore tab over on the right side. Choose your OSX boot drive as the Source and the new SSD drive (must be initialized/formatted first, so it will show up in the list of drive on the left) as the Destination. Good Luck

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

what davidlv said. Did you format and partition the SSD before trying to install OSX on it?

7. jimmypopjr thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome. Thank you guys for helping with this. As soon as I'm home (hour to go) I'll give it a try. I also grabbed a leopard disk from work just in case.

I don't think the SSD is messed up because it KPs before the system does anything, and it shows up just fine when I'm actually booted into OSX.

The DVD drive is fine.

The disks.... have seen better days, but I used my leopard disk recently without issue.

Ah well, here's hoping the clone works.

Thanks again guys, I'll let you know what happens.

8. jimmypopjr thread starter macrumors regular

no luck. Seems the size difference is too great? I've deleted everything but system files from my boot drive, but it still won't restore over to the SSD.

I'm on the phone with Apple right now, as the KP is kinda worrying, and the new leopard DVD didn't help at all.

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Instead of using Disc Utility. Download SuperDuper! and then just clone your existing HDD to the SSD.

I prefer SuperDuper! as that is the app that I have always used. I hear Carbon Copy Cloner is also another great free cloning app.

Good luck and post back the results.

10. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

You may have made a partitioning mistake. I would go back to disk utility and check that the partition table is actually GUID and HFS+ is formated.

11. jimmypopjr thread starter macrumors regular

hey guys - turns out I hadn't cleared everything off. Everything restored over to the SSD fine just now, and I'm up and running. Still a little concerned about my inability to actually install OSX... but I guess for now I'm all good.

Thanks again for the advice guys. Much appreciated!

12. Goldy3311 macrumors newbie

To answer your original question, booting straight from the install DVD takes a while, even on the upgraded Superdrives in the '09 Mac Pros. If you're impatient like me (or just want a fresh install on the other drive rather than a clone), install OS X through Terminal on a different drive.

1. Boot into OS X from a stable install. Obviously make sure your new drive is connected (must be formatted..if you haven't yet, do it with DiskUtility).

2. Insert the install DVD. Close the Finder window when it opens the DVD.

3. Open Terminal and type (or copy/paste):

Code:
    open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg
    That's one command. Make sure you don't forget the "m" in "mpkg"

4. Install OS X making sure to select the correct drive (the new one).

5. Before rebooting, open SystemPreferences and make sure to change your startup disk to the new drive via the Startup Disk pane.

6. Reboot, create your user account and install updates.

13. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

Goldy, does this method maintain the current log-in and work in a similar fashion as installing an app via Installer.app?
    I can only assume it does this...I would love to replace my oft-used, inconvenient, restore volume from img method.

14. Goldy3311 macrumors newbie

This gives you a brand new install..it's as if you just bought the computer.

15. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

I'm sorry, what I meant was, can I, say, continue to run Firefox and iTunes while OSX installs on a different drive, using this method. You know, like installing MS Office..?
    I'm not always a fan of the "boot from the DVD" rigmarole.
    Thanks in advance.

16. Goldy3311 macrumors newbie

Ohhhh..my bad :)

Yes, you can run whatever you want during installation.

17. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

18. 3587 macrumors 6502a

So, if you clone to an SSD and want to move your User directory to a different drive, while deleting it off of the new SSD, how do you keep it functioning in the new location? Like Apple Mail, etc.

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

An alias from the SSD to the new location should work.

20. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Im oddly having the same problem. I thought it was a riser card problem(other thread) but I don't think so now. I used carbon cloner and it worked great. But, even now if I try to boot off of the dvd it will get to the grey screen apple logo spinning wheel montage and kernel panic.