Any way to install Windows on a MBP with a broken CD/DVD drive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Ayjona, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Ayjona macrumors newbie

Greetings, rumoured people!
    Seeing the harddrive on my trusted first-gen MacBook Pro go up in flames (literally, and almost physically) made me realize that today is a good day to start posting on Macrumors ;)

With almost all of my important production work in the cloud, my real fear of having to re-install my systems is that I was one of the unlucky few to receive a first-gen MBP with a faulty CD/DVD drive. For reasons as complicated as they are silly, I never turned it in for a replacement during the warranty window. (My clouded mind's principles against using physical media might also play into this ;) )

While OS X is a breeze to install by imaging one of my harddrives after a dvd image of the Snow Leopard install disc, Windows is trickier. I've read the USB Flash Windows installation thread here, and it seems that there are no clear answers to my conundrum in there.

Does anyone know of ANY way to install Windows on a MacBook Pro with a broken CD/DVD drive?

Through Parallells in OS X, perhaps?

By connecting an external CD/DVD drive? Will my MBP be able to boot from a Windows DVD in an external drive? (I recall that during the Windows installation process, no USB connections worked, among them my external keyboard, so I figured that once we reboot into the Windows installer, we leave all drivers behind.)

By physically modeling an empty Windows partition after a full Windows install? :)

I figured that if any group of people can help me, it would be the forum(or)ites of Macrumors :)

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I dunno about your MBP but mine allows me to boot up (Windows or OSX) with an external USB DVD drive.

3. Ayjona thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you install Windows from that USB drive?

If so, then perhaps my woes have finally come to a happy end ;)

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

You can also install from ISO via two methods 1) use Parallels/VMWare as you suspect and 2) create a new
    Partition on your HDD copy the contents of the ISO to the drive and go from there...

Search thus forum for without SuperDrive or wait for me to post the link when I get back to my Mac.

EDIT: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=601414

B

5. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

install sofware via USB

I know how to move an Install DVD to a USB flash drive on a Mac, but I am not sure how to do it on a PC.

Since the netbooks do not have an optical drive, I want to move software to the flash drive to install to the netbook. Since I already have USB flash drives, I prefer it this way rather than from an external optical drive that I do not have.