Any way to keep clamshell mode without charger

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr.Outside, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Mr.Outside macrumors 6502

Mr.Outside

I searched for this but all I found were some older threads. I really want to run my MBP on battery power while it's in clamshell mode. I know it starts running on AC power once it's fully charged, but if I can't use the battery at all with my external display I'm afraid that I would cycle the battery enough to keep it healthy. Are there any apps/tricks/tips for this?

Any help is appreciated!

2. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

i'm not understanding the issue here. You want to run clamshell mode with no adaptor so you can have more/less charging cycles?

I say don't worry about it. Plug the charger in and stop obsessing over these things. use it like its supposed to be used.

unless if I am totally misunderstanding what you're trying to do. I have been known to do that!

:D:p

3. Mr.Outside thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Outside

That's what I've been seeing proposed everywhere. I dont mind leaving it plugged in, but it would be nice to let it use battery power sometimes so it can cycle and keep the battery healthy.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If you're worried about battery life, just use it on battery once a month and let it die. That's all Apple suggests.

There does not appear to be a way to use an Apple notebook in clamshell mode and run an external display. But you can use an external display when the notebook is open, so why not just do that? If it's just for battery maintenance, doing so once a month shouldn't be too bad...

5. Mr.Outside thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Outside

If I use the external display with my MBP open it doesn't show up in it's native resolution.

6. Wattser93 macrumors regular

Change from display mirroring to extended.