Any way to keep folders the same size?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by The.316, Oct 11, 2010.

1. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

Is there a way I can keep all the folders the same size? What I mean is when I open up my external HD icon on my desktop, the folder is one size (length/width), but when I open up another folder, its a different size. Is there a way/setting where every folder is the same size on my screen?

2. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

You could use TotalFinder. It uses tabbed Finder windows, so all the windows would be the same size because they're all in the same window.

I think I misread your post. Are you talking about the size of the windows or the size of the folder icons?

3. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

Size of the folders themselves, after I open them.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You can set a default size, but if you've previous opened those folders in specific locations and sizes, they may remember that setting.

To set a default location and size for new Finder windows, open a brand new, fresh window (preferably without any other Finder windows open), set the position and size, then immediately close it. Any new Finder windows should then open the same way.

To restore other folder's settings to the defaults, you'd have to delete the .DS_Store file contained within it (hidden by default). There are a variety of programs out there that can help you with that, such as Onyx or TinkerTool (I believe, haven't done that in a while). They'll also remove other custom settings like backgrounds and view settings, so if you have those set on any folders, you'll have to redo them.

jW

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

After a Folder is opened, it shows its contents in a Window.

Does that work for you? Doesn't work in OS 10.5.8 here.

A way to get there: Finder > Preferences > General
    Make sure "Always open folders in new window" is not checked.
    Now you'll have to adjust all of the windows you open. Once that's done, you should be good. If you open a window that's not one you open often, assuming a frequently viewed window is your starting point, it will be the same size and in the same position. I'm not sure that this will work for new apps you install. So you'll have to get there from another "correctly sized and positioned" window.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Works for me in 10.6.4, but has also worked for me back in 10.5.8, as well as 10.4.11 and 10.3.9. It's been in place a while.

jW

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok, then the key might be the meaning of new. I'll take that literally and try again when I'm at my Mac. But I think the OP is asking about folders that already exist, not literally new ones.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yep, covered that too. It's just a little more involved to reset the settings that have been (invisibly) set for those existing folders.

jW

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok, I give up. I can't get mine to do anything resembling what you're describing. I guess I'm not interpreting you correctly at all.