Any way to make Google Voice your defaul phone handler?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bbplayer5, Nov 21, 2010.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

So when I click the Phone app, it uses google voice to make my calls instead of the phone app? Im trying to switch the people I know to the new number, so it helps when I can call them easily via my Phone app and not forget and use my cell number. I got the extension that allows for Google Voice texting through BiteSMS (which rocks). Was wondering if there is anything for the phone. :)

Thanks!

2. outphase, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010

outphase macrumors 65816

While not an answer, an alternative is putting the GV app where you normally keep your phone app

3. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I'm with outphase on this one. I think your best bet is to use the official GV app.

4. Sixth Street macrumors member

I've just shoved the phone app into a folder with my other little used apps and put GV mobile+ in my dock, and fire that up everytime I need to make a call. Since I don't see the phone app anymore, I don't make a mistake of dialing with it. The official GV app will work as well as GV mobile+.

5. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I like the official GV app better. I've used GV Mobile for a long time (previously jailbroken, and then the official GV Mobile+ after it came to the app store), and while it suited my needs for a time, I really like the new official app from Google.

6. navajarunner, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

navajarunner macrumors regular

navajarunner

7. Sixth Street macrumors member

That's very nice. It's sure to be well implemented since it's by the same guy as the SMS GV Extension.

I'm buying it when it's out.

8. curiousgg macrumors member

that would be cool!

9. Sixth Street macrumors member

It's out in Cydia now. Called "Phone GV Extension"

Internet Link: http://gvexts.appspot.com/

Works very well, all set to give out my GV number and cancel my text plan finally!

10. chaka macrumors newbie

Did you get the trial to work?

11. Sixth Street macrumors member

Yes. Is there something specific you are having trouble with?

12. chaka macrumors newbie

All of it...Does nothing on my Iphone...when trying to make call it simply shows the little bubble of light and crashes phone app to springboard!
    FW: 4.2.1

13. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I had that same problem but in my case I put my GV Phone Number in the app when it really wanted the IPHONE's phone number. After I realized that it worked perfectly. :eek:

14. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

so stupid :mad: I didnt get the free trial says device expired :mad:

15. eekcat macrumors 6502a

I was SUPER excited about this at first - then I found out it doesn't work when dialing through another app (SMS, email) or through bluetooth (like in my car). Not sure why I should use this instead of the official GV app... :confused:

16. distortedloop macrumors 6502

distortedloop

Same here. Was quite excited to see this app on Cydia, by accident no less, and tried it for some calls. Worked perfectly, until I tried to make a call via my car's bluetooth system.

I'm going to try contacting the dev to see if he can provide that functionality in the future.

17. robotphood macrumors 6502a

I don't use bluetooth so I wouldn't know but the Dev did mention something about compatibility with voice control and bluetooth dialing in his recent twitter post. Also my phone dials out with my GV number through other apps fine (sms, mail, yelp etc...). I only recently discovered about this extension so maybe there has been some changes.

http://twitter.com/#!/gvexts

18. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Phone GV Extension

Does this work for data only iphones? I tried it and it fails to work. I have the ipad sim in my iphone and currently use talkative to call and receive (which is great) combine with sms gv extension......Im all set.

However, if the option to use the native call app is a possibility, that would be great. Any information that this works on data only iphones? Thanks