Any way to make iPhone appear on desktop when syncing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Decrepit, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I was wondering if there is a way that I can have an icon on my desktop (10.5) when I dock my iPhone.

I have a crappy USB hub that I have to use thanks to my Mini only having 2 USB connectors. The hub loses track of my phone sometimes, so it charges, but can't sync without removing it and reattaching it.

I was just wondering if there was a way to create a visual cue on the desktop that the phone is hooked up. I know I can't navigate it or anything (yet), but was just wondering if there was an easy way that I hadn't found yet.

Thanks!

2. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

3. aceducy macrumors member

iphone cannot be used as a disk client. iphone cannot see other servers via 802.11. iphone cannot do NFS. iphone cannot do SMB. iphone has an awful time even with https and SSL. The iphone VPN/IPSec client is buggy. iphone cannot be used as a shared disk via USB. iphone cannot be used as a shared disk via 802.11. iphone cannot use 802.11 for sync. iphone has no telnet or SSH. iphone cannot use 802.11 for anything except an internet gateway/passthrough. And iphone is locked out so you can't hurt yourself, except of course for the "intentional" tiff exploit that support uses to access your iphone without your knowledge. iphone has no video client for things like video ichat and Skype. Not to mention a crippled Bluetooth implementation.

Other than that, iphone networking works fine

4. Decrepit thread starter macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Way to answer the question there. The "nope, there is none." answer was useful. Yours is a little bitter.

It kind of sucks that Steve Jobs and his minions are forcing people to buy the iPhone at gunpoint. If only the phone actually did a whole lot of things that many people wanted, and made them happy. But alas, we'll never know that world.