Any way to make Pages autosave in WORD format?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hakr100, Sep 13, 2011.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

Pages is ok as a lightweight word processor, but one of its major annoyances is its inability to automatically save new documents in WORD format. You have to choose to save in WORD format each time. Same with opening existing documents, I think...they open up in Pages format.

None of my many clients uses Pages or is interested in receiving documents in Pages format. They want WORD format.

I cannot find a setting that automatically saves a document in WORD format. Have I missed it?

Thanks!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

This question gets asked often, but the answer is no. You have to export to Word format if you want the document to be in Word format, instead of the native Pages format.

jW

3. Razeus macrumors 601

Can't be done. Annoying, but if you need to have .doc format all the time, you might as well use MS Office. I don't need to so I just stick to the .pages format.

4. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Seems odd that Apple would cripple a pretty decent little word processor this way. Apple format is what, 10% of the personal/business computer world?

5. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

That may be so, but Apple format is Apple format. The idea is to get 10 of your friends to get on Apple, then they get 10 friends and so on and so on. As the transformation grows then Apple format will be 90% of the business computer world. Resistance is Futile, those windows people will be assimilated.

I don't think it's that crippling at all and I don't consider Pages a "decent little word processor" I think it's a great fully functional one. I have used Word on Mac and Windows machines since it was first introduced on the Mac (it's original platform) on my Mac Plus back in 199X and I feel that over the years that it has become a piece of bloatware on both platforms. Pages on the other hand takes the features people wanted most and puts them in an easy to use application that is more functional than Word. Most people don't even use 90% of Word's functions as it is.

6. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Why do you say it's crippled? Pages saves as .pages, it's native format. You can, if you want export to Word. Does Word even give an option to save/export as Pages? No, nor does it open .pages files, so why is it not considered crippled?

7. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I won't argue that WORD isn't bloatware, but all of my clients use it and expect to send and receive documents compatible with the latest versions of the MS package. That the Apple product can't save in WORD format by default is a serious deficiency in a business world dominated by WORD.

8. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

That a product as bloated as Word is it's a serious deficiency that MS didn't add one more little piece of bloat and allow Word to export or save in Pages format. Pages can save and open Word documents so why can't Word.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Word did not originate on the Mac. Word originated on MS-DOS where it ran in graphics mode of that OS. It was, however, on the Mac that Microsoft realized the potential of the application. Word was later ported to Windows.

What you are complaining about would be an incredibly bad idea if it were realized. The ability of Pages to open and export documents in Word format is a convenience to the user. It is, however, not intended for final production and is dangerous to use that way.

The problem is not Pages, it is Word. Exchanging documents between two different version of Word:win can generate unexpected results. You cannot expect to exchange documents between Word and a completely different application to be 100% trouble-free. A document converted to Word should be massaged in the same version of Word as the recipient's prior to submission. If you don't know which version of Word your recipient has, then you should be OK using Word:mac.