Any way to output console's AV to iMac

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by mrat93, Sep 15, 2007.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

My 24" iMac just shipped yesterday and coincidentally, as of next week, I wont be able to use my TV anymore. I currently have a PS2 Slim and a Wii.
    I have 2 systems, no TV, and a new iMac (config in the sig). Is there anyway to send the audio and video from each system to the computer and play it off that? Would the Wii sensor bar work too? Thanks.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You would need to hook up something like the Elgato EyeTV to it and send the signal through composite cables. You would probably be better off buying a 19" monitor with component inputs and then using the consoles on that. That way you could have a two monitor iMac and a decent console set up.

3. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Though I'm sure your idea with the monitor would work, I'm know that serious of a gamer to spend a few hundred dollars just for a few months. I'vw look at the EyeTV a few times nad I think I get the general idea of, but how am I to connect composite inputs to it?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

From the Elgato web site:

5. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Exactly what I need! Thank you!

6. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

Just make sure its lag-free. The external TV/AV cards often have a small amount of lag involved which may or may not be playable.

This is often the case if the video processing is done outside the computer.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Most people say there is zero lag detectable with the EyeTV. Search the forums for confirmation.

8. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Right, depends on the EyeTV model used. Those that do their own processing tend to make console connections unusable; those that offload all computations to your Mac should be good enough for console use.