Any way to pick certain things from backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aces99, Mar 31, 2016.

1. aces99 macrumors 6502

aces99

Hi, is there anyone to pick certain things to put on your phone from either a iCloud or iTunes backup? What I mean is I backed up my old iPhone to a iCloud backup and a iTunes backup. When I get my new phone is there a way that I can pick just certain apps and my contact list to put on my new phone or do I need to put the full backup on my phone. I only really need my contact list. The rest I can download. I don't want to install my old calendar on my new phone. But I don't know how to just put my contact list onto my new phone. Any help is much appreciated.

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Why do you not make a backup via iTunes and do a selective sync with just what you want from your old phone?

3. aces99 thread starter macrumors 6502

aces99

So just delete everything from the phone except the contact list and then do a backup? I thought of that and am going to try it. But I don't know if it's going to save my contact list and not the calendar. I don't want the calendar. Hopefully that will work

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You would just do a full backup of your old phone on iTunes. Then do a "selective" sync of just your contact list with your new phone.

Maybe someone else can explain this better than me.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Honestly, you are better off just starting as new if that is what you plan on doing. iCloud (if using) will keep your contacts, calendars, notes, photos, etc. and will restore what you select once you sign into your iCloud account. Then you can pick the apps your want.

After you sign into iCloud in the settings you can pick from 7 or 8 different options as to what you want to bring over. I do this and select everything (contact, mail, photos, reminders, notes) and then download the apps I want. It seriously takes 10 minutes to set a phone up from scratch if you use iCloud.

6. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

short and long answer: no... it's been suggested to Apple many times, but they don't want to implement it. You can be broadly selective , eg: choose whether to sync apps, music, movies or no. but once you select that, you cannot select exactly which app data you'll restore. at that level, it's all or none.