Any way to play protected AAC audiobook on non-Apple device?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hermolicious84, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Hermolicious84 macrumors member

My wife and I love listening to the NPR show This American Life, and we usually save up a bunch of podcasts for any upcoming long trips. Unfortunately, we have a trip coming up this weekend and we're out of episodes to listen to. I went to the TAL website and bought a number of older episodes for $0.99 each, but only after downloading a bunch of episodes did I realize that they showed up in iTunes as Audiobooks and were protected AAC files. I'm accustomed to the non-DRM mp3 podcasts.

My 5th generation video iPod just died not too long ago, so our only way to listen to anything in the car is a crappy little 4GB mp3 player (via headphone jack to FM transmitter), which obviously can't play protected Tunes content.

Is there ANY way to remove the protection so the file can be played on a different device? I've done a little research and I know it's possible to burn them to a CD and then rip them back to a computer, but that would take 1 CD per episode, and I bought 10 of them.

Thanks in advance for your help. I know Apple's DRM is there for a reason, but in this case it's just being a pain in the ass.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

1 CD-RW?

B

3. Hermolicious84 thread starter macrumors member

Any other ideas? That just seems really tedious. And I don't have any CD-RWs.

4. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Only way I know about getting rid of the DRM is to burn to a CD-RW and rip it back. If you don't have any CD-RWs, then I suggest you get some. They are not very much in packs of 5 or more (I know might only need one, but price for one is going to be higher for a pack of 5 or more.). Plus by having the CD-RWs you can reuse them to do it again.

Hugh

5. thesmellofwood macrumors newbie

same problem

Hello

Trying to play itunes bought audiobooks on a sony mp3 player did you find and answer other the CD burn??

X

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

honestly, before you burn tons of disks it's easier to buy a used iPod nano from craigslist.

7. davids8477 macrumors 6502

Google TUNE4MAC. That will help you out.

8. caonimadebi macrumors regular

Requiem

Strip the DRM by using this utility called Requiem (current version is 2.0.1 I think). It'll generate an identical AAC file except without DRM. It works with DRM'ed MP4's too.

No loss of quality and no need to burn disks.

9. davids8477, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

davids8477 macrumors 6502

Just found the right DL. link - wont DL though

10. davids8477 macrumors 6502

OK This is from their web site.

"From Requiem 2.0 onwards, you will also need an iPod, iPhone, or iPad capable of playing the file you want to deDRM."

No good for the OP.