Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
We gifted our young son an iPad mini 4 and we have restrictions pretty well set the way we want them. They've worked well except for one thing - my son has managed to install configuration profiles that we think are malicious.

He says he's seen links in some videos he's watched that have directed him to "download" something and next thing we know a profile was installed and most of the ones we've seen so far have asian (Chinese?) text so no way to tell where the origin is, as in which website or app it relates to.

It's weird that Restrictions can prevent app installations from the App store etc... but can't prevent possibly malicious config profiles to be installed? Unless there's a restrictions setting we've missed, this seems like a pretty big oversight on Apple's part.

Any help is appreciated.

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
What configuration is that? I don't think any site or app can simply install configurations, as they need to be signed correctly as well. They could be developer profiles.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I wish I had taken a screenshot of it before deleting it. It looked like a device-management type of profile (I have one installed by my company on my own iPhone) only this one that was installed on the iPad had no English text, just Chinese.

I spoke to AppleCare and they confirmed that restrictions don't prevent a user from installing config profiles, which to me seems nuts. I mean, I can block my young child from installing apps from the AppStore but I can't stop him from installing device profiles?

I'm sure it'll happen again and when it does I'll post a screenshot of it here.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I wish I had taken a screenshot of it before deleting it. It looked like a device-management type of profile (I have one installed by my company on my own iPhone) only this one that was installed on the iPad had no English text, just Chinese.

I spoke to AppleCare and they confirmed that restrictions don't prevent a user from installing config profiles, which to me seems nuts. I mean, I can block my young child from installing apps from the AppStore but I can't stop him from installing device profiles?

Also members in this forum who knows a lot about Chinese could help reading those characters if next time similar profiles are loaded.

Btw, you could check browsing history and see which link is possibly the culprit, although if that page is redirected multiple times before being accessed, finding out the exact page is nearly impossible.

Reactions: ATC

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016

If you see it again or happen to remember the words, let me know, I can read Chinese.

Reactions: ATC

ATC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Thanks. I will definitely post screenshots of it next time I see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.