Any way to prevent sleep if a Time Machine backup is running?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zorinlynx, Jan 24, 2011.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

It seems that nearly every time I happen to put my machine to sleep for the night while Time Machine is running a backup, I'm greeted the next morning with a "Backup has failed verification" error, which means I lose my entire backup history and it spends hours backing everything up from scratch again.

Is there anyway to prevent the machine from sleeping if TM is running, or better yet, throw up a "System will sleep when Time Machine is done..." dialog?

Does anyone else even have this problem? It's quite maddening.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm. What sort of device are you backing up onto? I can put my computer to sleep while it's backing up and it'll just resume when I wake it, so something's causing it to break for you.

4. zorinlynx thread starter macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I'm backing up to a NAS. It's Linux/SMB based. Could this be the issue?

It never even tries to unmount the share when I sleep the machine. By the time it wakes up the next day it's long timed out and it throws a ton of errors in the logs. Next backup attempt, corrupted.

Other than this, if I'm careful to always check time machine status before sleeping, it works perfectly.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Time Machine requires that the backup drive is formatted HFS+. Is that the case?

6. zorinlynx thread starter macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Only if it's a local drive. This is a network-attached drive, so the underlying filesystem doesn't matter. (It's probably ext3fs)

It uses a sparse bundle containing an actual HFS+ filesystem where the backup takes place.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm backing up to a Windows Home Server and don't have any timeout issues, however there's a little service running on my Mac to handle the connection. It may be pausing the TM backup, reestablishing the connection, then resuming the backup. I'll see whether I can take a closer look when I get home tonight.

8. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I would also recommend Caffeine.

9. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I'll third this. It's a Mac App Store gem, and it's free to boot. The developer could have charged 99 cents and made a killing.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It was already free before the Mac App Store existed, so I'm guessing they didn't want the negative feedback for suddenly charging for what had already been free. It is a great app!

11. KenV macrumors newbie

I've been trying to get get Time Machine to use a D-Link Network Attached Storage drive (the NAS runs Linux) with no success. Would you mind sharing how you got Time Machine to recognize the network drive? So far, no matter what I do, Time Machine won't recognize the NAS.

Thanks a bunch.

(I've got an older G5 Mac running OS 10.5.8)