Any way to push email only for VIP contacts?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by MrMister111, Dec 14, 2014.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

I only have my email to manually check when I open up the inbuilt mail app, happy with this as it saves on too much data usage.

However I have my family, and a few others as "VIP contacts", is there anyway to push these straight away to me so I get notified instantly?

Thanks

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can set the whole account for push and only select to get notified for VIP.

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Can't see that sorry. Can see to switch on push, then select fetch time schedule, but then on email account, the only setting is manual or fetch

4. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

go to settings -> notifications - > mail

There should be a section for each account and a section for VIP's to tweak notifications.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Ah all that was assuming your account supports push, and it sounds like yours doesn't. In which case it's foen to using some service or app that would provide push for your account or another email service that supports push.

6. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

It's a gmail account thought they would? Unless I haven't set up properly? Also an iCloud and hotmail one?
    Currently when I do a manual check, any VIP emails show in notification centre,b exactly what want, but want these VIP ones to be pushed rather than manual.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

iCloud and Hotmail support push and you should be able to enable that in settings. Gmail used to but hasn't for almost a couple of years now (except for those who used to have it and are still on older devices that had it).

8. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thought Google would have that enabled? Wonder why don't offer that then?

Trouble is I use the gmail as my main email account, so that's where the VIP will come to....

9. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

As others said, Gmail probably does not have push. Pretty sure only Google dropped for everyone other than those with business plans.

You can verify by:

Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data

then check the account(s) to see if there is a "push" option under it (my Gmail accounts both say "no").

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Google stopped support for push almost 2 years ago now. Just business type of accounts have that now, along with those who have older devices where they had push before Google stopped supporting it.

You could still have it set to fetch and it will notify you of VIP emails whenever it does the fetching and finds new mail.

11. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

No push under gmail. So if I set to fetch and only gmail, then only at the fetch time I set will it do a send/receive for gmail?

This would do I suppose, then as mentioned above if a VIP email is there I would get a notification?

Thanks