Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ritikbha

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2014
Hi! So I have an important question about retrieving deleted imessages. In terms of Apple products, all I have is an Ipad Mini (no iPhone, no Mac, aka no other synced devices). I have had my ipad for about a year and I use to imessage my friends all the time.

So, being the noob I am, I thought that a good way to free up space on the ipad was to delete ENTIRE THREADS of messages every few weeks or so...I assumed that they were stored in the cloud and I could just go back and get them any old time. Clearly, I have recently realized how mistaken I was. I recently lost a friend and I really would like to be able to access our old messages between one another, if possible.

Is there anyway to do this? I know that it is possible to restore old imessages from a backup, but I have no way of knowing which backups contain which sets of messages (since I always cleared them out so often).

Would it be possible to get a new apple product (like a Mac) and set up my imessage account on it and then view my entire message history?

Any help is really appreciated...

peterxui

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2015
What to do if I have found all my messages of iPhone lost and I have no backups of it.
Anyone can help me?

DeiselWeisel

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2015
My imessage and facetime was also not working. I tried everything apart from resetting all settings because i didnt want it to delete all my photos as i don't have computer to back my files on to. anyway what i done was checked my date/time settings and it was showing the correct time but it was on cupertino usa...
so if you are part of the uk go into settings > General > date & time > turn set automatically off.. and then put your time in manually and then turn set automatically back on.. it should then recover deleted iMessages.
then turn on facetime and imessage.. it will come up waiting on activation. mines took about 20 minutes but worked.

hope iPhone Data Recovery helps :)
I don't know what is you mean.

Tom Levv

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2015
Can I selectively recover deleted iMessages from iPhone?
Hey,
If you restore your iPhone with backup file to recover deleted iMessages, you can not do that. However, If you use third party software, you are allowed to select which iMessages you want to recover and get them back onto your computer. Till now, I don't know any software can transfer the iMessages back to your iPhone and merge them to the original place.

InfinityER

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Hey,
If you restore your iPhone with backup file to recover deleted iMessages, you can not do that. However, If you use third party software, you are allowed to select which iMessages you want to recover and get them back onto your computer. Till now, I don't know any software can transfer the iMessages back to your iPhone and merge them to the original place.

With the third party software mentioned above you can scan your phone, view the deleted imessages and pick which ones you want restored to your phone. It uses a free app to transfer deleted messages back to the iPhone.

Although they won't be in the native Messages app, they will be sent to the Restore app, from there you can reply to any messages.

Chloec

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2014
In this situation , you can choose a third party recovery program to recover your deleted message. Although those recovery tools need to pay for it, but you can download the free trial version at first, some trial version could scan the lost messages. If it could find the file you want, you could consider to buy it.

Evren Carven

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2014
It's an old post.

Though this easy iphone recovery that recommended by these guys above is designed to scan your deleted messages or extract your messages from backup files, you should take your iphone intact (which means the data hasn't been rewritten by new data)after the messages lost or you have a backup before you delete them.

Hichich

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2015
Kensett
It's an old post.

Though this easy iphone recovery that recommended by these guys above is designed to scan your deleted messages or extract your messages from backup files, you should take your iphone intact (which means the data hasn't been rewritten by new data)after the messages lost or you have a backup before you delete them.
That's right. It’s almost impossible to recover deleted iMessages that have been overwritten by new data. Thus when we find that the iMessages are lost, we should stop using the iPhone or turn on airplane mode right now until they are recovered.

Last edited:

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Why do people want to keep messages? Surely after they have been read they have served their purpose?

Never understood why people put value on them.

Memories and nostalgia. Friends come and go, same with family. There are things you want to hang onto. That stupid thing they said that was funny, a bad conversation, a great feeling you shared, lots of reasons. Just like pictures and videos, they are a link/look into the past.

SalmaHayek00

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2015
My imessage and facetime was also not working. I tried everything apart from resetting all settings because i didnt want it to delete all my photos as i don't have computer to back my files on to. anyway what i done was checked my date/time settings and it was showing the correct time but it was on cupertino usa...
so if you are part of the uk go into settings > General > date & time > turn set automatically off.. and then put your time in manually and then turn set automatically back on.. it should then recover deleted iMessages.
then turn on facetime and imessage.. it will come up waiting on activation. mines took about 20 minutes but worked.

hope iPhone Data Recovery helps :)

I meet the same problem. Can you give me more help?

Last edited:

wesdaey

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2016
I have no idea about how to get back my lost imessages of my new iPhone 6s!!!!
Anyone can help me?

Sare2514

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2015
Oh, To avoid this situation, you'd better backup your iMessages frequently on iCloud or iTunes next time. So if you have backups, you can retrieve them easily. However, if you have no backups before, you have to restore iMessages directly from iPhone. I also knew a tool when I used Google to search some ways about how to recover WhatsApp message last year. iMyfone D-Back supplies a soulution that we can restore the deleted iMessages from iPhone directly. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Cloudyheadedasset

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2016
If you find an answer can you help my " dad" too.

my daughter accidentally deleted here iMessages.

she is not too happy about this.
is there any way to redownload them?

wifi sync was never activated.

Thanks in advance.
My
[doublepost=1457208979][/doublepost]My "dad, brother and boss" are all interested in helping me recover my lost data however I value my privacy how can I mitigate these attacks and I welcomed intrusions more effectively. It seems I'm ineffective in securing my iPhone

InfinityER

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Yes that's right (for anyone who's still looking for a solution). Once you're on the homepage, select which device you'd like to recover from then download the trial version of the software - this will show you how much deleted data is retrievable.

If you're happy with the scan proceed to export/restore your iPhone data, if you're not, contact the support team and they'll help get your data back :)

**This software can also extract data from your iPhone backup file

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Hi! So I have an important question about retrieving deleted imessages. In terms of Apple products, all I have is an Ipad Mini (no iPhone, no Mac, aka no other synced devices). I have had my ipad for about a year and I use to imessage my friends all the time.

So, being the noob I am, I thought that a good way to free up space on the ipad was to delete ENTIRE THREADS of messages every few weeks or so...I assumed that they were stored in the cloud and I could just go back and get them any old time. Clearly, I have recently realized how mistaken I was. I recently lost a friend and I really would like to be able to access our old messages between one another, if possible.

Is there anyway to do this? I know that it is possible to restore old imessages from a backup, but I have no way of knowing which backups contain which sets of messages (since I always cleared them out so often).

Would it be possible to get a new apple product (like a Mac) and set up my imessage account on it and then view my entire message history?

Any help is really appreciated...
My Uncle screen captures every imessage conversation he enters into. Always has record of them that way

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I often wonder why people save conversations. Why is this? I delete all my conversations.I don't have time to read over them, and why would I want to?

Old thread but I get customer orders and feedback on our services for my company is text. Employees are directed to worksites with messages and they are quite valuable to me. Not everyone is the same. I reference my text messages multiple times a day. I have employees who refer to older texts for instructions at one of my many customer job sites.

No all of us are the same and I seldom delete my messages.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Old thread but I get customer orders and feedback on our services for my company is text. Employees are directed to worksites with messages and they are quite valuable to me. Not everyone is the same. I reference my text messages multiple times a day. I have employees who refer to older texts for instructions at one of my many customer job sites.

No all of us are the same and I seldom delete my messages.
I see where this would make sense, but why would a teen want to save text messages?

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Why are many of the posts in this thread so bizarre? They seem to be written in the same not-quite-English diction, and all by various "Newbies." It's like some odd bot convo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.