Any way to remap numeric pad or renumber Spaces?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BuzzMando, Oct 27, 2009.

1. BuzzMando macrumors newbie

Hi,

I asked a similar question on Apple Support Forums today.

In my opinion I think the numbers in Spaces should be in the same layout as the numeric keypad on the Apple keyboard. Is there a way to renumber the spaces, so Spaces #1 would be in the lower left, not upper left?

Alternatively, is there a way to remap the Apple numeric keypad to be the same as a telephone keypad. That would make it the same as Spaces now is (for 1-9).

I wouldn't mind changing my numeric keypad's layout anyhow, as I'm much more used to the telephone-style layout than the calculator style on the numeric keypad.

Thanks - Buzz

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, there's no easy way to reposition the Spaces numbers, that's for sure. A more intriguing question, to me anyway, is why were the numbers on keyboards arranged upside-down? All of my telephones and calculators have them arranged "correctly", as does Spaces, in my opinion. Keyboards stand alone, don't they?

3. BuzzMando thread starter macrumors newbie

Any way to remap numeric pad or renumber Spaces?

A poster on the Apple Support forum, said there's a program called "Ukelele". Google that and you'll find a way to remap the keyboard & keypad.

Personally I prefer the # layout on the telephone to the keypad. I think the reason it isn't laid out like the telephone, goes back to the old adding machines. So, if you look at the old computers input devices, they probably had it like the adding machines. The push-button telephone was introduced in 1959, and they probably figured out that this 'newer' layout was easier for the average user, who wasn't a cashier or accountant, familiar with the old adding machine, cash register layout.

BTW Ukelele is the name of the program (or script) and is a misspelling - so google it that way. Ukulele is the correct spelling of the instrument.

Thanks,

Buzzmando (also Buzz the Ukulele player)

4. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Telephone keypads are arranged the opposite of calculators/numeric keypads for a reason. The original telephone keypads sent pulses across the telephone that approximated the pulses sent by rotary dialing. Those who could touch-key could key faster than the telephone system could handle, therefore the telephone keypads were inverted.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Interesting. But, didn't people learn to dial just as fast with the number positions inverted?

Mea culpa: My calculator numbers are upside down too, of course.
    However, my TV remotes have them the right way.

But, my curiosity remains unsatisfied. Why were numeric pads arranged bottom to top to begin with? Why not just start out the "right" way and have people get used to that arrangement? The 4, 5 and 6 stay in the same relative position, of course. The "problem" key is the 0 I suppose.

6. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

It's the telephone keypads that are "upside down."

After teaching 10-key (using adding machines/calculators in a business setting) the answer is obvious: the most commonly keyed digit is "0" which in the numeric ordering is directly under the thumb. Hence the "0" can be keyed without shifting the hand.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

So I guessed right, just didn't know why. But, it would still work to leave the 0 at the bottom and flip the 1st (top) row and the 3rd row. I think the brain could handle that. I still maintain that the telephone and TV remote are right side up!

8. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Since 10-key appeared before either the push-button telephone or the television remote, I maintain they are upside down. :D

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok, last comment, the horse is dying...
    Being first doesn't make it right. What came to market first, a Macintosh or one of those other machines? :p

The "up" side is the top, except perhaps in the southern hemisphere. ;)