Any way to remove Beta TVOS? It crashes the Trailers App?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by CouponPages, Jul 24, 2019.

1. CouponPages macrumors regular

CouponPages

One of my favorite Apple TV Apps is the Trailers App... but it's been crashing as soon as you load it for weeks.

I have 4 Apple TVs, and it only crashes on one of them, the one enrolled in the Beta program.

I've tried uninstalling, re-booting, then re-installing the App... same problem. I even tried doing a factory reset, but apparently when it does this, it still doesn't remove the Beta because it's considered newer than the one it would've downloaded in the reset.

Does anyone know a way to remove the Beta entirely?

2. randywsandberg macrumors newbie

randywsandberg

So sorry to hear this @CouponPages. I too have reproduced this issue since going beta with my Apple TV 4K system. And, like you, the Trailers app is one of my favorite apps. At least it used to be! Now, when I launch the app it comes up and then goes into the background. If I try to bring it to the foreground it just goes back to the background. And, like you, I have deleted the app and reinstalled it with zero luck.

As for removing the beta, or in this case going back to tvOS 12, I've talked with Apple in the past about this on a previous beta test cycle and they said there was no way for me to to it with my current Apple TV 4 K system nor my previous Apple TV 4. I even asked if an Apple Store could do it but they said no. Thus, you'd think I would have learned my lesson back then but this beta build just looked so cool I couldn't resit!

Anyway, hopefully tvOS 13 will be out soon AND the Trailer app will be fixed so we can once again enjoy the trailers! :-D

3. CouponPages thread starter macrumors regular

CouponPages

What a bummer.

The simplest solution would be for Apple to update the Trailers App, but I'm guessing they've got a bit of a Catch-22. Chances are whatever would fix it for tvOS 13 will break it for 12.

In the meantime, I'll stay enrolled in the Beta Program or I'll miss any fixes they may push through.

4. waw74 macrumors 68040

is It a 4 or a 4k?

with the 4, you might be able to downgrade using iTunes and a USB-C cable.
    check online for documentation, and the file you need.

and the site linked below seems to think turning off beta updates, and then doing a factory reset will downgrade
    https://www.imyfone.com/apple-tv/downgrade-apple-tv/ (also has instructions for the 4)

5. JWort93 macrumors member

Turning off the beta updates, and factory resetting will not downgrade. That site is mistaken. The 4th Gen shouldn't have any issues downgrading with iTunes and a USB-C cable though.

6. northnz macrumors newbie

Disable location settings for the Trailers app under Settings -> Apps - > Trailers

7. armandxp macrumors 6502

armandxp

It’s working again if you download the fourth public beta. LOL. I’m so happy. Missed it.

8. SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

If you have an Apple TV 4K, you are out of luck...no downgrading that. If you have an Apple TV HD (4th Gen.) then 100% you can hook it up to your Mac with a USB-C cable and reinstall tvOS 12.

Just curious, how is tvOS Beta 5? I really want to put it on my Apple TV HD (4th Gen.) but as of now, all I have heard from the previous four betas is that they are super buggy and crash a lot. If it is a lot more stable, I might just bite the bullet and install it.

Any apps that don't work or crash a lot? My main apps are DirecTV NOW (or should I call it its new name...AT&T TV NOW, haha), HBO GO, and Showtime Anytime.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

:apple:

9. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

tvOS 13 beta build 17J5540d has fixed the Trailers crashing bug.

10. randywsandberg, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019

randywsandberg macrumors newbie

randywsandberg

Thanks a million. Updating now. Fingers crossed my Trailers app works too! :-D

UPDATE: Updated tvOS beta (17J5540d) and now Trailers app works again!

11. northnz macrumors newbie

I saw someone mention the control centre wasn't coming up with long hold of TV button. Is that happening for you?

12. randywsandberg macrumors newbie

randywsandberg

Nope, thankfully it works for me!

13. randywsandberg macrumors newbie

randywsandberg

Well, after updating, as stated above, the Trailers app works (that is, it no longer drops to the background), but now the Asphalt 8 app is broken in the same way. My favorite app. We just cannot win. :-(

14. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It’s a beta so many developers need longer times or wait for the retail version to redo their apps! So direct your app developer first before baking Apple!