Any way to rescue an external optical drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by oxband, Sep 26, 2018.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

I have a MBP. I use an external optical drive to import CD's. It turns on when plugged in....but the CD isnt noticed by the computer. i tested it on a second computer too.

Any thoughts for what I might be able to do short of just buying a new one?

2. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Did you try it with other CDs? If it still doesn't work properly, try using a double input USB connector. In other words, a USB cable that can connect to two USB ports at the same time. Most external optical drives are sensitive to voltage input and may not work properly without the proper voltage. Using two ports usually will overcome that. I have an older Samsung external drive that needs two ports while my LG does not. If after doing all that, the drive still does not work, replace it. (Also try cleaning it with compressed air.)

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Was it working previously, and then STOPPED working?

Did you -change anything- on the MBP -- upgrade the OS, etc.?

Could the lens on the CD/DVD drive be dirty?

Does it use a separate USB connecting cable?
    If so, have you tried changing it?

I know this is "basic", but have you checked the finder/preferences panel, to see that "show CDs/DVDs" is checked?

If nothing helps, it might be easier just to buy a replacement...

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Do a favor and tell us does the drive at least spin up before it rejects disks then run a CD/DVD lens cleaner disks, they're cheap enough in most tech stores around and on the net!