Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YSP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
Apparently there's a trick to make the original Apple Pencil work with the newest (officially incompatible) iPads using the LightBlue app. I sold my iPad Air 3 some time ago but kept the Pencil. Now trying to pair it with the new M2 Air I get a timeout error (timeout interrogating the peripheral). According to the forums, to make it work the Pencil must have been previously "forgotten" or disconnected from a compatible iPad.

I guess there's an option to go to an Apple Store and ask them to connect and disconnect it from the 10th Gen iPad.

But can this be done without a compatible iPad? Is there perhaps some way to completely reset the Pencil? Is there some obscure app or utility that would let me connect it to an iOS device or a Mac to reset it?

YSP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
Went to an Apple Store, ask them to pair and unpair the pencil from a 10th Gen iPad. After it's been properly "forgotten", I could set it up with my m2 Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.