Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Stupid mistake, simple question. Was taking down some notes in TextEdit, closed file by mistake without saving. Anything I can do?

I should point out the file does exist, it just obviously reverted back to the state it was in before I did the particular hour or so of work in it.

Am I screwed?

SG

EDIT: Should also point out I'm not using Time Machine.

Yiosik

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2009
Athens
TextEdit Help

You can make sure your edits aren’t lost if TextEdit quits unexpectedly. TextEdit saves copies of your documents to autosave files. You can change how often your files are saved.

To choose how often to save documents automatically:
Choose TextEdit > Preferences, and click “Open and Save.”
From the “Autosave modified documents” pop-up menu, choose how frequently to save your changes.

If TextEdit unexpectedly quits, open TextEdit again. It opens the autosave files for the documents that were open when it unexpectedly quit.

iRyanDevine

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
England
Maybe your time machine might be able to help or it may give you an option to open a document wich was saved from being lost when you next open the app

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
If TextEdit didn't offer to recover the file when you reopen the program, then the edits are indeed lost, unless you perhaps have installed a key logger on your machine, but that's unlikely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.