Any way to retrieve a TextEdit document I didn't save?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Smileyguy, May 1, 2009.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Stupid mistake, simple question. Was taking down some notes in TextEdit, closed file by mistake without saving. Anything I can do?

I should point out the file does exist, it just obviously reverted back to the state it was in before I did the particular hour or so of work in it.

Am I screwed?

SG

EDIT: Should also point out I'm not using Time Machine.

2. Yiosik macrumors newbie

TextEdit Help

You can make sure your edits aren’t lost if TextEdit quits unexpectedly. TextEdit saves copies of your documents to autosave files. You can change how often your files are saved.

To choose how often to save documents automatically:
    Choose TextEdit > Preferences, and click “Open and Save.”
    From the “Autosave modified documents” pop-up menu, choose how frequently to save your changes.

If TextEdit unexpectedly quits, open TextEdit again. It opens the autosave files for the documents that were open when it unexpectedly quit.

3. iRyanDevine macrumors newbie

iRyanDevine

Maybe your time machine might be able to help or it may give you an option to open a document wich was saved from being lost when you next open the app

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If TextEdit didn't offer to recover the file when you reopen the program, then the edits are indeed lost, unless you perhaps have installed a key logger on your machine, but that's unlikely.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110