Any way to revert to 10.12.3 without Time Machine?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by Falcon9, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Falcon9 macrumors regular

Falcon9

I'm on Sierra 10.12.4 on my 13" early 2015 rMBP and have encountered numerous graphical issues that were not present on 10.12.3 (which was bug free for my usage). I do have a Time Machine backup from when on 10.12.3, but would rather not go that route to avoid losing changes made since then. I tried downloading the 10.12.3 combo update from Apple's website, but when I go to install it I get this notice: macOS Sierra can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." Is this because you cannot re-install a previous update? Any way to get past this? I would also like to avoid doing a fresh install, as I already did that once a while back for different reasons and it was a lot of work, and my system is setup perfectly at the moment.

2. chrfr macrumors 604

You can't backdate macOS without restoring from a backup. You'd either have to use your Time Machine backup or use an older 10.12 installer to get there. If you download a new 10.12 installer, you'll get the 10.12.4 version.

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Well that stinks. All the more reason I'm glad I waited.

4. Falcon9 thread starter macrumors regular

Falcon9

Dang... maybe I will just holdout and hope it is fixed in 10.12.5.

5. liya1201 macrumors regular

6. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

The OP already tried that as mentioned in their original post.

7. liya1201 macrumors regular

Errr... Sorry for my ignorance..

8. chrfr macrumors 604

It's never possible to backdate the operating system by using a combo updater.

9. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

The problems the OP is experiencing is yet one more reason why one should always ALWAYS do a bootable cloned backup BEFORE doing an OS upgrade.

If the OP had a bootable cloned backup of 10.12.3 created -just before- he upgraded to 10.12.4, he could:
    1. Boot from the backup
    2. Erase the internal drive
    3. RE-CLONE from the backup back to the internal
    Once done, he would be "right back where he started from", ready-to-go with the previous version of the OS, and everything "in place"…

… or, as they say, "easy-peasy".

10. JohnH90 macrumors newbie

I've had several problems since I upgraded my iMac from 10.12.3 to 10.12.4, including Time Machine, which backs up to an External Hard Disk via FireWire 800 [see my post on 17 May
    iOS 10.12.4 update/Time Machine slowness problem]
    Apple engineers say it is the fault of the Ext HD and I should buy a new one, despite First Aid saying there is nothing wrong with the Ext HD, while First Aid from Recovery had to fix problems with the Macintosh HD (repairing threads etc.).

I do have a Time Machine Backup and would like to try Fishrrman's solution, but I'm not very tech savvy. Indebted if you could spell out in non-technical terms what I need to do in steps 1, 2, and 3
    Many thanks