Any way to run 10.3.8 in 10.7.2?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by duckdodgers, Mar 27, 2012.

1. duckdodgers macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've been using an ancient Powerbook G4 with 10.3.8 for the last 7 years and just picked up a mac mini server with 10.7.2 as well as vmware fusion. While I was using my G4, I cloned the HD, so I had a 10.3.8 bootable external FW HD, which has saved me many times.

When I got the mac mini, I obviously could not boot from the 10.3.8 drive (Note: it wouldn't boot in my friend's Snow Leopard either). I made an iso from the drive to run in vmware, but it seems that vmware only supports 10.5 and 10.6. Is there anyway to run my 10.3.8 bootable disk in 10.7.2? Will VirtualBox or Parallels do it? What other options are there?

Thanks
    Jake

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

10.3 requires a PowerPC machine, which VMware doesn't provide. There is no way to get 10.3 to run in VMware.

I don't know what other options are available. Several years ago I looked at an app called PearPC but I have no idea whether it's still supported or whether it is the best choice.

3. duckdodgers thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugh...I just spent an entire day trying to get PearPC working on my OSX lion using wine. It was a nightmare and nothing to show for it. After compiling wine for a couple hours, it was finally ready to go, but PearPC wouldn't load my ISO from the terminal. Just a bunch of error messages. I seemed to get a better result using Xterm.

Things started looking more promising when I installed WineBottler and PearPC VirtualBox GUI, but when I'd run my 10.3.8 ISO, it would return an ActiveX error. Should I give up? I'm guessing from what I've read that even when 10.3 is loaded on PearPC via wine, its very inefficient...

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the reply!
    Jake

4. chown33 macrumors 604

Maybe you can explain what problem you're trying to solve by running 10.3.8. You posted this:
    I don't see where the "mojo"[1] is here.

You seem to think you're losing something ("mojo") by no longer having 10.3.8 on a bootable external HD. But you haven't really described what you think you're losing.

If you mean the bootable external HD, you can do that with 10.7.2. Carbon Copy Cloner is your friend.

If you mean something special about 10.3.8, then you can't possibly hope to boot a dead Mac mini from that, PearPC or not.

If you mean you have some apps that only run on 10.3.8, then you should identify those apps, because there may be perfectly serviceable new versions (or replacements) that run natively on 10.7.2.

If you think something else is being lost by not having 10.3.8 on a bootable external HD, then please describe exactly what you think you're losing.

[1] mojo, n. - some intangible but apparently valuable condition, state, or capability.

5. duckdodgers thread starter macrumors newbie

Good question. Pretty simple, no mojo: I'm a musician, been running Pro Tools 6.7 for the last 7 years with an MBox. Just got this new mac mini server with lion and I'm currently upgrading all my audio equipment and plan on getting Pro Tools 10. The issue is that I have a lot of unfinished 6.7 sessions that I need access to now and in the future, for referencing, remixing, sampling, etc. PT 6.7 only runs in 10.3.8, so any OS newer than that won't work. I've heard from a few sources that sessions created on older Pro Tools versions will load on ProTools 9 or 10, but it never translates completely...there will be some glitches. I was hoping to keep the sessions intact by using 10.3.8 in 10.7.2 so that I could load my new Pro Tools 10 and also still load Pro Tools 6.7. I'd prefer to do this all with one machine, if I can. That would be amazing.

Any thoughts?

Jake

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Can't you try to get yourself an old Power Mac G4 or so?

7. ivnj macrumors 65816

That's a good idea. Get a mac mini g4. So have 2 stacked on top of each other. 1 intel and 1 g4. They had g4 minis I remember back in the day. And I have all the original panther cds at home so I'll try and see what I can find.

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I'd agree with getting a PowerPC machine to run the old Pro Tools. Good chance it wouldn't run in a virtual machine, anyway. PT needs the hardware to run, and the VM hardware conduits would probably make PT puke.

9. MacSince1990 macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

As was said, a 1.25 or 1.42 GHz Mac Mini might be your best bet. You also might want to upgrade to Mac OS 10.4.x, as it's faster, more stable and more compatible with newer software.