Any way to run HDDerase on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VirtualRain, Dec 21, 2009.

1. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I'm going to refresh my SSD's... From what I've read, given that HDDerase is a DOS utility, the only real way to utilize it is to boot off a bootable CD on a PC as a Mac won't boot a DOS disk. Anyone here know different?

2. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

3. smacman macrumors 6502

I can't remember the explanation but I am pretty sure the zero erase in Disk Utility will NOT be effective when trying to restore SSD write performance.

Some info here:
    http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-SSD-Reconditioning.html

I had read an even better article about this somewhere but I can't remember where now.

4. BillB50 macrumors member

I had to perform the DOS-based reset when I moved my OS disk to a G1 Intel SSD. I keep a Windows PC around for doing stuff like that. This really depends on the maker of the disk and the utilities available. My Intel disk is G1, so it has no support of the advanced commands/toolkit that was published by Intel.
    I am not as familiar with other brands. I might suggest hopping over to Anandtech.com, as he has written extensively on drives, manufacturers, and performance degradation and has written articles on resetting drives.

-bill