Any way to run TWO versions of Chrome on Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bully worm, Aug 5, 2010.

1. bully worm macrumors regular

I'm currently on the beta version of chrome but would also like to tes the dev version as well without uninstalling the beta version.

Is there a way for me to install both versions without any problems?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Unlike on Windows, where you can't do this very easily, on Mac OS X this is very simple. All you must do is put each version of Chrome in a different folder. There's no way to avoid them sharing settings that I know of, though.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

You could install the 2nd Chrome under another user in a separate Applications folder then the preferences would be under the 2nd user's library.

4. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

I think it's even simpler than this. Each copy of Chrome can be in the same folder, as long as one has been renamed, such as "Chrome dev, Chrome beta".

I do this with Handbrake for multiple simultaneous encodes, I just rename them, and they are all in the /Applications/ folder with no additional folders.

5. bully worm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, I'm giving it a try now and it seems to work just fine.

I downloaded the dmg file, dragged the Chrome app to a separate folder and double clicked to run. It's showing its the dev version but how come it also has all my bookmarks and settings already imported?

Edit.

Nvm I just read the first post by wzrd. Thanks for the help you guys.