Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
My current packages are -

iPhone -

450 Anytime minutes - $39.99
Unlimited Data - $30.00
Unlimited Texted - $20.00

National Account Discount (23%) - $16.10

Mis fees and taxes - 6.20

Monthly phone charges are $80.09

iPad 3G Data - $30.61 with taxes

Total bill - $110.70

I've looked at ways to trim my bill but there doesn't seem to be many options. If I went with 250MB for the iPad, that is $14.99. You don't get much for that. They should just price it at $10.00 per Gig of use. Would make things so much easier. At the current rate, it's not worth reducing that plan.

For the phone, definitely not giving up the Unlimited Data. Not that I haven't thought about it. If I went with the 5 GB plan, it's $50.00. I get so much more for the next $10.00 that I pay now (Unlimited phone/3GB iPad). The unlimited texts, that gives me unlimited calls to another cell phones.

Ok, as I finish typing this, I probably already know the answer to my question. You used to be able to call AT&T and they would see if they could offer a discount off of the bill. I guess I might have it set up at the best rate. But, if I am missing something, let me know.

Current AT&T plans - http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=qDH2lMSBMyH

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
How old are you? There is a senior minutes rate plan that you could get. It's an option on my AT&T account because I used to be on a family shared plan and my dad is eligible for it.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I need the iPad data plan for when I use that away from home. Usually only use about 1GB of data on that per month but that might change with the warmer weather coming.

I'm many years away from a senior plan but I'm working on getting a family member a senior rate for her cable.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
The text messaging is an area you might look. It's such a ripoff, since text messages use WAY less bandwidth than even a simple phone call. You might look into doing your messaging via iMessage, which uses the data side only. Or getting a more limited text plan.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Wow

I thought it was bad in Canada. I've got 6GB with Hotspot, 200 daytime & unlimited after 5 plus 2500 txt $55 all in. Guess it's not bad at all.

musicman008

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
If you happen to live in a city or town that has a pretty decent cellular data reception(3G or LTE), and the only people you call or text are residing within US and Canada, then I suggest ditching the call and sms plan (if that option is allowed by your provider) and just use Text Now or any similar app from the app store. The minutes are cheaper, like 500 mins / $10 and you get unlimited sms. Also, you can ditch the data plan for your iPad and go take the personal hotspot route. However, this could take a toll on your iPhone, especially on long hours of iPad browsing. Or maybe, ditch the data plan on your phone as well and invest on a portable internet device, which is no larger than a pack of cigarette, and will serve as your indoor or outdoor router. Only caveat is, you'll have to take it with you all the time to get internet on your phone.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I've thought about going the JB route. Have never jailbroken a device so I'm a little concerned with having issues. I've dealt with modifying performance cars in the past. Can get good results by doing that but there is sometimes issues that make you think (I should have left it alone).

I believe iMessage is only available between iDevices. With my unlimited texting plan, calls between cell phones don't count against my minutes so that helps me have the lowest plan of 450 minutes.

I have Google Voice that allows for free calls and texting. Hum... I can ditch the texting package and save $20.00. Then if I start to get low on minutes, I can make calls through there. I'm kind of locked into having a contract for the iPad because I got a $100.00 discount when I bought it.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I send a lot of texts. About 700 last month.

I downloaded Whatsapp. I might be wrong but t looks like other people I text need to have that app unless the have iMessage. Is that correct?

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I probably have to be at least 25 years older for that! :)

luigismartphone

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2013
Florence, Italy
I send a lot of texts. About 700 last month.

I downloaded Whatsapp. I might be wrong but t looks like other people I text need to have that app unless the have iMessage. Is that correct?

Yes, other people have to install WhatsApp in their mobile phone.

But, if you send a lot of messages, you can tell your friends/contacts to install WhatsApp.

It's availaible for all Android smartphones, iPhones and also Symbian smartphones.

You save $ on bill, and your friends too :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, other people have to install WhatsApp in their mobile phone.

But, if you send a lot of messages, you can tell your friends/contacts to install WhatsApp.

It's availaible for all Android smartphones, iPhones and also Symbian smartphones.

You save $ on bill, and your friends too :)
If only WhatsApp was available even for feature phones, and free on all platforms (and even then, if only you really had that much influence over your relatives/friends/contacts to get them to use some app possibly just for you that they otherwise might not care for at all).

papen

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
cancel the unlimited text message. install an app and get a free number for texting in America/Canada

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Anyone use Google Voice? I have that as a second number that I use for selling stuff on Craigslist. Free calls and texting. Maybe I should eliminate texting on my regular phone and use that more. Plus I can use it for calls too.

Only drawback to doing that or going with a 3rd party app, I lose the ability of having the same conversation on my phone, iPad and Mac Mini. I guess it's either give up something or deal with the cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.