Any way to see ALL unassigned "faces" in Aperture library?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nihao1234, Feb 16, 2010.

1. nihao1234 macrumors member

Hi,

I have Aperture 3, and I've been experimenting with Faces. I have about 10,000 pictures, and it's spent the whole day getting all the faces. A lot of them have been assigned to about 15 of the main people i take pictures of, but i'm sure a lot of "faces" are left, unassigned when they could be. Perhaps its me being OCD, but I don't like clicking on a name in faces when its only a sample of their many pictures in my library (or even if its most of them, but just a few are left out)

Is there any way to see ALL the faces that have not been assigned to a person yet, in order to assign them correctly to a person?

Thanks!

2. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I've been trying to figure out the same thing but have not found a way to do so yet. However, I've only had a few days to play with Aperture 3 so far so maybe there is a way that we can't figure out.

3. scott182 macrumors member

A smart album with the rule "Face: is unnamed" should do what you're looking for. You have to click "Add Rule" in the upper right corner of the smart album settings to add a "Face" rule.

4. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Wow, great find, thx for posting.
    Not sure if iPhoto can do this or not. I'm looking at going from iPhoto to Aperture and this would be efficiency improvement.

5. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

Almost the same in iPhoto as Aperture. Make a "Smart Album" and name it something like "Unnamed Faces" and set the conditions to - Face> is > unnamed.

Attached Files:

6. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

What I love about this forum, helpful answers from great people!

Now iPhoto has identified 8,145 unmamed faces.....glad I don't have a obsessive-compulsive disorder or I'd be up at 5am trying to ID them :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

7. dissonance42 macrumors newbie

Almost

I have been using this technique since Faces became a feature in iPhoto. But now I am having an issue in Aperture 3.0.3.

I had been using Aperture 3 for about a week when my hard drive began having issues (An invalid node structure, unable to repair with Disk Utility) and I had to format my hard drive and reinstall 10.6.3, and then restore from my Time Machine backup. The first thing I noticed when I stepped back into Aperture, was that all of the Faces were gone, and I had to rescan my entire library for faces. This wasn't too big of a deal, since I had already started this process when I switched back from Lightroom, and wasn't too far into the naming of the faces.

The issue I am having is that now I have turned Faces back on and I have rescanned all of my Library, the Smart folder I use to find unnamed faces will not display unnamed faces. I have deleted the Smart album and recreated it, I have repaired my database and library, I have turned Faces on and off, I have restarted my laptop, and no matter what, when I create a Smart Folder for unnamed faces, nothing ever shows up. I can step into a photo, and see the unnamed face, but it will not show up in the Smart folder.

Before I switched to Lightroom a year ago, I wouldn't have minded this happening, because I had already gone through all of my Faces in iPhoto. But now that I have switched back to Aperture, my entire library is littered with unnamed faces. And unfortunately, my OCD won't let that stand.

Is there a database file for Faces in the Aperture Library? Or someone of purging all of the Faces and starting over again? Or do we suspect this is an issue with Aperture 3, and I should go ahead and reinstall that too?

Intel MacBook 13" 2.16 Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 GB RAM
    10.6.3, Aperture 3.0.3

8. bendav macrumors newbie

Similar Problem.

Should! is right. But mine doesn't. This smart album is always empty. A very clunky work around is:

Smart Album. 'Any' of the following 'do not match': 'face: is not detected', 'face: includes - a', 'face: includes - e'.

This seemed to make a smart album with detected faces not containing a or e (ie, almost only unnamed faces). But it updates erratically and still doesn't explain why the solution from Scott182 above doesn't work for everyone.

Also, Faces suddenly just renamed 580 people 'Wilson'.

I'd be keen to hear of anyone who finds a fix to having an empty unnamed faces album.