Any way to see what "Other" is on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Cheval, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Cheval macrumors newbie

I know it's not a major issue, but is there any way to see or find out what is taking up space on my iPhone? (which iTunes brands as "Other")
    Something is taking up 230mb, which while it isn't much is a good album or two extra on my iPhone (also, I'm OCD with maximising my available space on my Mac or iPhone haha :p)

Oh, and I'm not jailbroken. Week 52 3GS :(

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's your OS.

3. Cheval thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think so. That 230mb is extra data which has appeared since getting the iPhone.
    My 16gb Nano reports 15gb total free space, while my 16gb iPhone says its got 14.28gb, so the OS is hidden I'd imagine.

I dunno, maybe I'm being too fussy, but I'd just like to know where my free space is going :rolleyes:

4. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Do you have album art added to many of your music or video files? Lots of contacts with photos? Calendars with tons of events? Downloaded emails with huge attachments? Lots of games with saved data (although this might go under "Apps"; I'm not sure)?

5. Cheval thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, even after a full restore theres still 230mb there (And thats an itunes restore and without a restored backup)

• If I remove some album artwork from 10 albums then sync again, no change in size
    • Remove some photos for contacts, no change there
    • Dont use iCal
    • If I delete all my emails, no change (Was only 1 20kb attachment with one of them anyway)
    • I have 9 apps installed, none over 10mb apart from one 100mb app, I delete this 100mb app, the space used goes up from 230 to 260mb???

Also, I cleared history+cache in safari, no change, also deleted a load of text messages, no change.

Someone out there must know what this space is typically used up by :S

6. KidPub macrumors member

ls

Are you jailbroken? If so, you can:

Code:
    cd /; ls -lRS | more
    to get a directory-by-directory list of files sorted by size. You could pipe it through cut if you wanted to clean the display up a bit, or grep for files over a certain size.

Perry

7. Cheval thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, and of course you had to use ****** :p
    I had tried google and searching on here, but my searches were always too complex like "what is the other space on iphone?" or various combinations of that and the thread title :rolleyes:

Thank you though :) Clears things up for me :)

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It was "cleared up" for you in my post above. The predominant part of "other" is the OS. It also consists of text messages, voice mail and "other" things that don't fit into the "other" categories.

FYI, there have been users with significant amounts of other, where there was a problem with iTunes not categorizing the music properly. Your "other" is just what I said and nothing you can do about, unless you want to delete your OS. GLWT.