any way to send video from iPad to HDTV?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hotinplaya, Mar 13, 2010.

1. hotinplaya macrumors member

I guess this a wish list item

But I would love to be able to use the iPad to control my video for play on my HDTV.

I now use my ATV and iPhone as a remote (App).

I would love to see a "dumb" wifi HDMI adapter, where I could use the iPad to stream iTune content from my library to a TV, basically replacing the ATV. is there anything like that made? Do you think this will be possible?

I am building a small hotel, and had planned on putting in hacked ATV so people could use the extra benis of hacked ATV, but I think this would be a better setup? any ideas

2. elmo151 Guest

it should work:

3. hotinplaya thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response's, but you missed my point, here is my wish?

I would like to see a wireless HDMI (like an air express) that you would hook up to your HDTV, and use your iPad as the controller (possible with ATV software) to send content from your iPad and /or your main iTune library.

My set up now, is the original ATV, I keep music , pictures and some of the kids movie's stored on it, but I normally stream my movies from my 1TB iTune library collection and growing.

Some people want an ATV with more storage, I would like to see a non storage ATV , (in expensive module, around $99.00) made to be used with your iPad

4. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Seems like a good idea. I sync my atv less and less now and just stream what I want to watch. In the next year I think we will see what apples plans are tv wise. I know it's not taken off as much as they'd like but I couldn't live without my atv and hope they either update it or come out with something better. Your idea sounds good to me!!

5. citi macrumors 65816

citi

6. jeremyblevins macrumors member

well for one he said wireless but also component cables can carry 1080i signals but for some reason Apple only has 576p and 480p over the component cables. This frustrates me because the vga adapter doesn't have usb plug so you can't charge your iPad or sync if while playing video.

7. kyleaa macrumors regular

I doubt Apple would ever do this as it would be a massive battery drain on the iPad. Right now they state it can get 10 hours of movie watching (which many people don't believe), but that would drastically drop if it was streaming that video via wifi.

To get the content on your iPad you need to sync it through itunes, so I think Apple assumes that your ATV would be streaming from that library anyways. They probably view the Remote app as sufficiently meeting the needs you lined out here.

I know there are other reasons you might want this functionality, like browsing the web on the TV or showing off a slideshow, but I don't know that Apple would build a product for such a niche case.

8. dagomike macrumors 65816

Yeah, you'll want a 30-pin to component adapter.

I've done this a few times on my TV w/ the iPhone and it look OK. If the iPad handled better video in HD format, I'd be more excited.

9. vini-vidi-vici macrumors 6502

Your TV will need something on its end to receive the HDMI wirelessly... Aside from an OTA antenna, I doubt your TV has such a thing. I don't know though.

If you had that fixed, perhaps someone could create an app that'd shepherd these files from iPad->TV, but my guess is that there would be DRM issues to make this difficult if not impossible. It wouldn't be "streaming" in that case either.. so your TV would need some kind of DVR to store the file. But at that point, you've just re-invented a need for the ATV.

What's really needed here is true 1080p/i output on the iPad (via cable). This is something I had hoped for, alas, it just isn't there. I'm sure this is just a technical limitation of the iPad's performance. It just doesn't have the mojo to handle 1080 output (or even 720). I think this is something that'll come with v2 or v3 of the iPad... one of those specs that'll get incrementally better.

I want 1080 output to do true HD presentations. The VGA output of the iPad is crap for my purposes, serviceable, but it'll look crappy on a big screen. It's just going to take time...

10. YayMayorBee macrumors member

YayMayorBee

I dont think this is too far off, my prediction is within the next 5 years all TVs will become internet (wifi) enabled with their own OS. I would assume apple will come out with a full blown TV as thin as a Macbook air with Apple TV built right into it.

11. hotinplaya thread starter macrumors member

I saw something similar to what I want, it is the Roku video player, http://www.roku.com/roku-products

just for streaming, would love to see Apple make something like that using the ATV software, for streaming your iTune content,

thanks for the comments

12. rj45 macrumors newbie

Guys

Long time no see you!!

Happy Bday Chrissy!!!