Any way to set custom window sizes for different displays?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Traverse, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Hi,

I am extremely peculiar about my window sizes and placement (iTunes, Safari, Chrome, Calendar, etc..)

I have a MacBook Pro with a 1440 x 900 display and a 23" 1920 x 1080 monitor. Obviously, the benefit of the monitor is to be able to display more content with larger windows etc.

I often use my mac in clamshell, but I make the windows larger and when I switch to the internal display the windows are oversized and out of place.

Is there any way/app/hack to have OSX preserve window size for clamshell vs internal display so that I don't have to constantly resize with my screenshot templates?

Thank you.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I use the app Display Maid for exactly this.

I setup all my window sizes like I want on my Macbook Air, then save the settings in Display Maid. Then I attached the Air to my 27" Thunderbolt display and do the same thing. After that when I switch back and forth the window sizes auto adjust to the new display size.

3. Traverse, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014

Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for!

----------

And it looks like this no longer works with Mavericks.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Why do you say that? I'm still using it on Mavericks and it works fine. You can DL a demo from the devs. web page I linked and try it out.

5. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Oh, sorry. I was going by the Mac App Store version because the site had a link to it. That version hasn't been updated in 2 years.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I am running the 1.2.1 version from the App Store and it is working fine under Mavs. I suppose Mavs did not require any changes.

7. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Awww. I just bought it and it won't work with 10.9.1

It asked for access to "assistive touch" which I can no long find in accessibility.

I will keep it and hope that the developer does an update.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You should be able to just tell the app it is okay to allow assistive access when it asks. Or you can just drag the app into this screen in the Privacy pane.

Here is mine on 10.9.1 and it is working. This might help you also.

[​IMG]

9. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

I just wanted to reply and thank you so much for your help. I have set up Display Maid and it works perfectly and does exactly what I was looking for. Now I can more seamlessly move from clamshell to standalone.

Thank you!

10. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Sorry to contact you through this old thread, but since getting a rMBP I find that Display Maid is glitchy when trying to set custom workspaces with different scaled resolutions and monitor arrangement.

I am thinking about using SwitchResX for only this feature (not messing with it's resolution options). Have you used it? Many on this forum like it, but doesn't it mess with the system's core files? Could you cause instability or crashes? Is it safe?

Thanks

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sorry no experience with that app. Still using DisplayMaid on my MBA.