Any way to set firewall on incoming text messages?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Namji, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

As per title, is there a way to set a firewall on to receive text only from my contact list? I don't want o receive spam texts from telemarketing etc.
    Thanks In advance.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I'm bookmarking that article. I haven't received any spam yet but I know the day will come and I'll need to adjust those settings. This shouldn't even be legal. I could actual probably call that stealing. Sending me a text that charges me money to view your stuff. So stupid.

5. dffdce macrumors member

6. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That doesn't always work

8. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Correct...
    I used to get spammed all the time.
    Even got auto subscribed because I included the words F#CK OFF in the stop message.
    That almost cost me $40 in fees until I disputed the crap on my bill with AT&T. They reversed the charges.
    That is when the rep told me about the parental controls you can add to a line.
    You can have AT&T put a block on inbound SMS messages that use a short number as most spammers use this. They can even set you up with a PIN on your account so you can selectively unblock them as Google and a few other legitimate companies use short numbers to send calendar reminders and such.
    The PIN is also required if a spammer tries to setup auto billing like the jerks did on my account.

9. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

Download iBlacklist. You can make a white list for SMS to only receive texts from the numbers you add.

10. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That's actually worst, it let's the spammers know that your "active". They will put you on a confirmed active list and sell or share your number to other spammers. The result could be much more spam.

Some spammers actually include the "Reply Stop" message just to get replies. Only trust a "Reply Stop" message if it's a company you did business or shared info with before and you know they are legit. NEVER REPLY TO UNSOLICITED EMAIL!!!

11. Namji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Namji

I think the information in that link is outdated. I tried to do this with the VZW site and there is no option to block texts.

On my previous phone ( blackberry tour ) there is an option under e-mail settings that allows texts messages from your current contacts on your phone and blocks all other texts / MMS. I wonder why the iPhone doesn't have this feature.