Any way to shrink Windows 7 install?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Flowiee, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Flowiee, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013

Flowiee macrumors member

Hi,

Im looking to buy a Macbook Air or Pro with the 128gb ssd, because I have a 1TB external HDD.
    I saw a few things on the internet about shrinking your Windows 7 installation, so you have a 'Lite' version.
    My main goal for using Windows is to play games I think, for normal use (schoolwork, word, internet etc.) I use OS X.

Does anyone has a tutorial or something, or a file thats been upgraded for only windows 7 use for games?
    And howmuch is it possible to shrink the installation? I thought the installation file for windows 7 64bit is 20gb, am I right?

Greetz.

2. simsaladimbamba

The installer for Windows 7 is around 4 GB in size, the installed Windows 7 is around 7 or so GB, any additional game will vary between 1 to 24 GB (and probably more), but one can use an external HDD to install games onto.

If you choose the 128 GB SSD, take 28 GB for Windows and 100 GB for OS X.

3. Flowiee thread starter macrumors member

So your saying, that if I install windows 7 premium 64 bit, it will only costs 12GB? i think it will be a lot more with drivers, servicepack etc.
    Any more clues?

4. Holmes093, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

System Requirements for Windows 7 64bit includes 20GB Free Space.

I have done tons of installs and it doesn't ever reach this, but use this as a template. Then add your games etc on top.

To be fair you did say you were looking at an air or a pro, So if you can afford a pro with 128GB SSD, why not buy an air with 256GB SSD?

Then again you have the issue of gaming performance. Neither of these are going to be gaming powerhouses.

5. Flowiee thread starter macrumors member

I am more looking for a good 'Windows 7 lite' version for gaming use only.

And to replie on your statement about the size of the ssd. I am more into the Air because of the price. I am a student so my budget reaches around €1300-1400, so with that I can get a max. Air, or a standard rMBP. The i5 is also a option which is around €1150, but I think the i7 is better for my use. But stilll hasn't decided.