Any Way to Shut My Disk Up?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Burnsey, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Ever since clean installing snow leopard on my MBP everything has been great, except for one very annoying problem. Every application launch is followed by a flurry of disk activity (despite having tons of ram free). Sometimes just at idle the disk starts reading something at high speed, and the noise it makes when it does this is very annoying, not to mention it slows things as well.

I have provided a screen shot below, 20 minutes after boot (with just Safari used after) and the disk has read 1.74GB of data and written 403mb. As I'm typing this (and doing nothing else) it's working away madly and making a ton of noise. Sometimes the disk works continuously for over a minute, and I'm not doing anything! I have ~1GB of ram free (green).

Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions? Explanations?

Attached Files:

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

3. Burnsey thread starter macrumors 6502a

From what I can see it is not indexing. Which makes sense considering it's been nearly a week since I installed SL.

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Well, you kind of left this part out.

Just for kicks... try running Safari in 32bit mode to see if that changes anything. (Get info, toggle 32bit on).

5. Burnsey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I quit Safari and every other application and just let it sit there. From time to time the disk starts randomly making a lot of noise and doing stuff. I dont know if it is the OS that's responsible, since this was a clean install I have no background apps yet.