Any way to speed up Cydia refreshes?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Tronic, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

I know that Cydia is slow to begin with, but is there any way to speed it up a little bit. I love Cydia, but dread using because it takes so long to load for me. I just timed it on my 3g and it took 57 seconds from launch to load and download the release and then an additional 1 min 6 secs to finish "reloading data". I do not have winterboard installed. Can I remove some sources to speed things up?

2. foob macrumors 6502

foob

Removing sources would probably help, but I don't know how much. If you have MobileTerminal, and apt from Cydia, you can run "apt-get update" before opening Cydia. That will make Cydia load faster but doing all that may not save you any time.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Agreed. I just picked up a 3gs and Cydia went from almost unusable to fairly normal. I think they still need to fix the core problem, but on the 3gs it is loaded and navigable in 10 seconds and all packages are re-loaded in under 30 seconds total.

6. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

You know your code has gotten bloated, fat and inefficient if someone feels the need to write a toggle to prevent it from reloading data or the only fix is to get a faster phone. RYP isn't nearly as slow as Cydia.

7. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

8. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

I've always wondered about this. It seems like Cydia takes nearly two minutes to be completely up and running.

9. mojoe24 macrumors regular

Is rock better than cydia? or do the carry the same stuff?

10. Almy macrumors 6502

Rock has everything Cydia has. I started using rock on my last JB and I've never loaded cydia again. It's MUCH more effecient and has things cydia doesn't.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

22 seconds on my 3GS.
    The more sources/repos you have installed the longer it will take.