Any way to speed up Preview when reading PDF files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacAndMic, May 15, 2011.

1. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I get PDF files from architect's that are usually based on 36" x 24" or "D" page size. These PDF documents can be anywhere from 10 to 100 pages and when viewing them in Preview, they are slow to paginate, move and zoom in and out.

When viewing the same PDF files in bootcamp, they fly, no issues at all. It definitely is not a hardware issue (i7 2.93 iMac and no issues on the windows side) so I can only assume it is an issue with Preview and how it renders. Is there any setting that can help this along? Or maybe even another "free" program to use?

I've seen another post that suggested doing a save as to help with speed and it does work but it is still really slow compared to bootcamp.

Thanks for any and all help.

2. MacmancUK, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

MacmancUK macrumors member

Download Adobe Reader, it's free and loads PDF's fast.

Around 220mb download

Having said that, I prefer Preview, even if it does load slower on large PDF's

One reason, in Preview, save as or sometimes print as PDF menu, quartz, reduce file size, will probably reduce file size, make loading quicker in Preview, only slight quality loss usually. This may not be possible on some commercial PDF's.

If this locking happens, try saving as a copy, and work on the copy.

You can also delete pages easily in Preview to make file size even smaller, though the index would then be wrong.

Failing that, Google is your friend !