Any way to start Siri in the car without touching the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Ohsnaps!itsjeff, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Ohsnaps!itsjeff macrumors newbie

is there anyway to setup a contact that if you call using your cars bluetooth, it will open siri? not that its a big deal, but it would avoid having to reach over/pick up the phone to activate siri.

2. rhino89 macrumors regular

Don't have an answer, but thought I'd give you a bump since I have the same question.

3. davelanger macrumors 6502a

What if you just use raise to speak, and then move your hand over the sensor when you want to active siri. Would that work

4. SunnyStudioNeo macrumors regular

Ford has a car coming out, which integrate w Siri, you can touch a button on wheel to activate Siri.

5. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

In my Audi i put the phone in the holder next to the shifter so that I can press the home button and activate siri without looking. She then works through Bluetooth connection. I wish that there was a button on the wheel though.

6. cdebnil macrumors regular

Same here with my Lexus....Not really any different than pushing the A/C button or fiddling with GPS. This is my first SIRI enabled phone. It is nice to use to have her read me txts etc versus having to fiddle with the screen and risk accidents. I do find myself sometimes making the mistake of activating the voice recognition in my car and giving her SIRI commands and vice versa.

7. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

8. dotme macrumors 6502a

Okay I'm missing something. I have a $50 motorola bluetooth speakerphone in my car. All I have to do is tap the Motorola's "call" button and Siri is activated. It doesn't work that way with built-in car systems?

9. jsf721 macrumors 6502

I read in a car Mag that manufacturers are working on getting getting this done.

10. redbroccoli macrumors member

I don't think Ford is a partner of Apple to launch Siri Eyes Free.
    Initial partners include BMW, GM, Mercedes, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, Chrysler and Honda.

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

What works for me is if you have something handsfree (read: bluetooth earpiece), I can hold the push-to-answer button until I hear a beep like I'm about to turn it off, wait a second, then hear Siri respond.

At least that works for me with most Plantronics bluetooth headsets; specifically, the Discovery 925.

BL.

12. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

Plantronics Voyager PRO HD launches Siri. (BT Headset)

13. SunnyStudioNeo macrumors regular

Seems that I quoted the only company that does NOT partner with Apple :) Thanks for correcting.

14. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I have an alpine receiver with Bluetooth and on my iPhone 4 (so no Siri), I would be able to press the "phone" button on my receiver and then another button and would engage the voice command feature. So I could speak into the Bluetooth mic "call Steve Smith" or whatnot.

Now, that same method does nothing. I don't know if it has to do with the iPhone 5 or the firmware of my receiver. However if I engage Siri / dictation on my iPhone I can speak into the Bluetooth mic.

15. xxredneck18xx macrumors newbie

I use aftermarket radio(blue tooth) and I got ios5 something. All I do is go to bt phone and hit the select button works great sometimes(my voice)

Thought I would chip in on that

16. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

my vehicles bluetooth works with siri (2010 Chevy) I just have to say "voice" instead of a command. Siri comes out through the car audio and it has a bluetooth picture next to siri speaker

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

It has existed for years, they just want to rebrand the action button on BT as Siri.

Anyways, I just press the action button (the bluetooth button) and Siri pops up. :eek: :cool:

18. jsf721 macrumors 6502

I gotta try that, I did not think it worked that way in my 2012 Infiniti, what kind of car do you drive?

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Aftermarket stereo, if your car has a button for Bluetooth then that is the button that will rise Siri

20. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Jailbroken you can buy Hands-free, just say siri and it will respond

21. jsf721 macrumors 6502

Nope, I hit the bluetooth button and it asks if I want Navagation, phone or a whole bunch of other crap but no Siri

22. bearda macrumors 6502

Depends on the stereo. It sounds like in your case it's the stereo responding to you, not the phone. On my it just passes the button press to the phone, and I can use Siri.

23. EmpyreanUK macrumors regular

Which aftermarket stereo are you using?

I'm looking at getting a bluetooth car stereo and would like it if I could activate Siri by pressing a button on the head unit and therefore be able to leave my phone in my pocket.

24. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I had this Parrot BT device in an old truck and it would activate Siri if you held down the green call button. Surprising this inexpensive, low end BT device would work with Siri but high end systems built into newer cars do not.

25. AdamRushUK macrumors newbie