Any way to sync a random selection to your iPhone from within a playlist?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Daveecee, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Daveecee macrumors regular

Okay, so correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a ton of music that won't fit onto your iPod or iPhone, you can allow it to sync a random selection to the device, right?

Well, can I make my iPhone sync a random selection of songs from one playlist rather than from my entire library?

2. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

just make a new playlist of the songs that you want to sync, go to the music tab, sync selected "playlists" and pick the one you just created.. thats what I do.

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Create a playlist 'A' that contains all the items you might want on your iPhone

Create a playlist 'B' that contains items that are in A, selected at random, and limited to (say) 4 GB

Sync playlist 'B' with your iPhone.

The only problem with this is that the list won't continually re-randomise. To re-randomise you need to select all items in 'B' and delete - iTunes will re-populate.

I do this - but I also have the rule in 'B' that I don't want to include songs I've recently listened to or skipped. That way, the list randomises itself as you listen to stuff.

4. Daveecee thread starter macrumors regular

I can has detailed explanation?

EDIT: Nevermind, found out exactly how to do what you were talking about. Tweaked it a little to fit my needs, but thanks for the ideas!

5. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Welcome to my world of overcomplicated smart playlists!

Let's say you have a playlist with all the albums / tunes you might potentially want to listen to (as before, this is 'A')

Now create a second playlist. In my case, it's called 'MusicSeed' as it's the list of all the music I have. The conditions I've got set are all of:
    Genre is not audiobooks
    Genre is not video
    Last played is not in the last 4 days (I just listened to it, so let's have something else)
    Last skipped is not in the last 14 days (I skipped it, so I'm not in the mood to hear this)
    Live updating

Now I can create smart playlist 'B'. Conditions are all of:
    Playlist is A
    Playlist is MusicSeed
    Limit to 6GB
    Live updating

So when I've listened to something and last played is set to today, the track disappears from MusicSeed, and therefore disappears from B. iTunes keeps the size of B at 6GB, so it puts another track in its place.

6. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Cool. Have fun!

7. Daveecee thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, so I got my playlist made and synced, but I get a little notification exclamation point next to the playlist name in iTunes (under my iPhone, not the original playlist). Clicking it reveals this:

"The smart playlist depends on one or more playlists which cannot be found."

I'm assuming because the source playlist is not on the iPhone. So far, I can't see anything wrong going on here other than the fact that this message is present. The music is still getting synced to my iPhone, although I have yet to see if it will be live updating. Time will tell.

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Yes, that's OK.

You can't have the source playlist on the Phone, 'cos it's too big. All my playlists have exclamations.

9. Daveecee thread starter macrumors regular

And when you sync, they still transfer enough information that iTunes knows the songs have been played, removes them from the playlist, and syncs the new one with the iPhone?

10. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Yes. iTunes updates itself with playcount, rating, last played, last skipped etc. if any of these things has changed since you last docked your iPod.

11. huntaaar macrumors newbie

this is all great but is there any way to have the random selection choose complete albums rather than just tunes?

12. huntaaar macrumors newbie

I should say as well im using Itunes 9.2.1 so no smart shuffle feature as some online tips suggest..

Arrrgghh!:confused:

13. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502