Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
My eMac runs 10.4.11, and my MacBook 10.6.8. I was wondering if there was a simple solution to getting the two to sync certain folders with each other, so they could have the same content on them without me having to manually move a file added to one machine to the other. A web based solution would work, but if possible I would love some sort of FW or USB based auto-transfer mechanism. Any suggestions are appreciated, though. Thank you!

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
External hard drive on a network

Time machine on both machines to an external backup on a hard drive on the network should do it.

Swampus

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
Winterfell
Carbon Copy Cloner can be used to sync specific folders if we're not talking about files that are still being edited. If you edit a file on one machine, CCC has no way of knowing which one to keep. I tend to save each edit as a new file, so this works for me.

More recently, though, I've been keeping my files, especially works in progress, on a FW HD that I connect to whatever computer I'm in the mood to work on.

NAS (Network Attached Storage) is also very nice. It's like having your own personal cloud.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Hmm, does Dropbox require constant internet access? Or will it automatically update both machines at the time they gain a connection?

Hmm, does Dropbox require constant internet access? Or will it automatically update both machines at the time they gain a connection?

As long as both machines are registered to the same Dropbox account it will synch them when they regain internet access. At least that has been my experience. I keep a lot of files for work on Dropbox and then when I turn on my iBook G3 it will synch them. This can take a while if the wifi is not supper fast and there are a lot of changes.

BinaryTim

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
Dakotas
Best option

Possibly your only, and best, option with your older systems is Dropbox. If you haven't given it a try yet, here is some more info (sys. requirements):

Dropbox requirements

Good luck! I love Dropbox, hope it works out for you, too. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.