Any way to test apps on device - 3.0 and PPC?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by simplymuzik3, Jun 17, 2009.

1. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

Okay, so I have a ppc mac with everything installed fine. I have the latest xcode, iphone sim, interface builder etc. However, whenever I try to test the app on my device, I get the following error. Does anyone know how this can be resolved by modifying some of the files? I really need this to work, and I cannot afford an intel mac right now. Please, someone help me with this! it would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much :)

Attached Files:

2. dusker macrumors member

You got the answer right there, it says "Bad CPU type"
    As far as i know iphone development is only supported on intel based machines

3. simplymuzik3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, I know its intel only, but does anyone know a way to make the app run on the acutal device with ppc? The iphone sim works fine, but when I try to test it on a device, I get that error. Thanks.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Most likely there is no way to get it to work. The way this works is that there is a gcc cross compiler that allows us to produce ARM code for the iPhone. Apple provide a nice Intel->ARM cross compiler. As they only support Intel-based development they don't supply a PPC->ARM cross compiler. Unless you can find one somewhere and install it yourself you are basically stuck with no work-around.

5. simplymuzik3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help guys. Today I actually decided on getting a new MBP 13" for iphone dev, and I need it for uni as well. Thanks for the help anyways :)

6. zKarp macrumors member

Are u sure..

Isn't that the error you get if you don't have "developer status"? the $99 thing.
    You can't test apps on a device w/o it.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No you get a code signing error then.