Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
I set up a script on my home computer to push gmail to the phone via Prowl, so I have fetch turned off and after using mail I keep killing it with SBSettings to free memory and have one less thing running. Is there any way to set it up so the home button kills the mail app instead of backgrounding it?

I could have sworn there was something released on Cydia recently that did something like that or close to it, but I can't find it now.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I set up a script on my home computer to push gmail to the phone via Prowl, so I have fetch turned off and after using mail I keep killing it with SBSettings to free memory and have one less thing running. Is there any way to set it up so the home button kills the mail app instead of backgrounding it?

I could have sworn there was something released on Cydia recently that did something like that or close to it, but I can't find it now.

Both Phone & mail are designed to always run in background. Some have said turning off push mail works, but I believe it will just start up again.

I think it's just a known you will have to accept.

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
it will open up if you open up contacts....

ipod will open up if you open up your settings..

jason221

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
Force quit it by holding the power button until it says slide to shut off, then holding the home button until you're back at the home screen? Works for me, although I don't have Push or Fetch enabled.

Edit: Doesn't completely closing Mail defeat the purpose of having Push turned on?

foob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Edit: Doesn't completely closing Mail defeat the purpose of having Push turned on?

No, I'm not pusing to the mail app. The script on my computer moniters gmail and pushes it to Prowl. I read it in prowl and only open mail to send a reply.

Guess I'll just keep killing it.

foob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Do you really believe it uses enough memory in the background to worry about it so ?

I'm not worried about it. It's just one of those things like turning off the light when you leave a room.

hiimamac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Boston
No, I'm not pusing to the mail app. The script on my computer moniters gmail and pushes it to Prowl. I read it in prowl and only open mail to send a reply.

I have gmail and msc mail and have tried everything including sbssettings and I do not see a kill mail button anywhere. The programs that supposedly will kill apps, mail goes back on in 5 to 7 seconds. I have a badge program that shows what's running and mail always comes back on. PLEASE HELP as mail Always comes back on. One time I turns off all mail including contacts and it still came back on!!!

Thanks and peace!!!

hiimamac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Boston

Please. Any advice at all. Something in jailbreak wonyt allow me to turn off mail. Even if I disable, I get a badge a few seconds later. I am on jb 2.1.1. What is the best way to save this and try to update to latest. As well, how does one find out what baseband you have. Is that changed with Apple update? Can newer bought today, example, phones be jb.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.