Any way to totally kill mail when closing?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by foob, Sep 12, 2009.

1. foob macrumors 6502

foob

I set up a script on my home computer to push gmail to the phone via Prowl, so I have fetch turned off and after using mail I keep killing it with SBSettings to free memory and have one less thing running. Is there any way to set it up so the home button kills the mail app instead of backgrounding it?

I could have sworn there was something released on Cydia recently that did something like that or close to it, but I can't find it now.

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Both Phone & mail are designed to always run in background. Some have said turning off push mail works, but I believe it will just start up again.

I think it's just a known you will have to accept.

3. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

it will open up if you open up contacts....

ipod will open up if you open up your settings..

4. jason221 macrumors 6502

Force quit it by holding the power button until it says slide to shut off, then holding the home button until you're back at the home screen? Works for me, although I don't have Push or Fetch enabled.

Edit: Doesn't completely closing Mail defeat the purpose of having Push turned on?

5. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I've now got into the instinctive routine of using SBSettings to kill the mail app, whenever I close it.

6. foob thread starter macrumors 6502

foob

No, I'm not pusing to the mail app. The script on my computer moniters gmail and pushes it to Prowl. I read it in prowl and only open mail to send a reply.

Guess I'll just keep killing it.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Do you really believe it uses enough memory in the background to worry about it so ?

8. foob thread starter macrumors 6502

foob

I'm not worried about it. It's just one of those things like turning off the light when you leave a room.

9. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

You can kill it if you go to mail settings and turn of push and manually update. I do this when I am running and using Runkeeper to save battery life.

10. jvice09 macrumors member

jvice09

yea same here

11. hiimamac macrumors 6502a

hiimamac

I have gmail and msc mail and have tried everything including sbssettings and I do not see a kill mail button anywhere. The programs that supposedly will kill apps, mail goes back on in 5 to 7 seconds. I have a badge program that shows what's running and mail always comes back on. PLEASE HELP as mail Always comes back on. One time I turns off all mail including contacts and it still came back on!!!

Thanks and peace!!!

12. hiimamac macrumors 6502a

hiimamac

Please. Any advice at all. Something in jailbreak wonyt allow me to turn off mail. Even if I disable, I get a badge a few seconds later. I am on jb 2.1.1. What is the best way to save this and try to update to latest. As well, how does one find out what baseband you have. Is that changed with Apple update? Can newer bought today, example, phones be jb.

Thanks