Any way to turn Notifications OFF at night?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sounds Good, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Hi guys,

Is there any way to turn Notifications off during certain hours?

For example, I play Words for Free (Scrabble?) on my iPhone 4 and WANT to get a Notification when it's my turn to play -- but I do NOT want a notification at 3 AM. :)

I don't want to use the Vibrate switch since I want the phone to ring. Plus I'd rather not have to manually remember to turn Vibrate off every night and on every morning.

So... is there any way to automatically set up particular times for Notifications?

By the way, I'd rather not have to jailbreak my phone, so hopefully there are other options!

Thanks.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Notifications is one of the most frequently requested updates for iOS
    Hopefully it will get addressed soon

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Apple's notification system blows. I can't believe they ever released it and kept it basically the same for 4 years now. The worst is when you're watching a video and a notification comes in. They really need to address this in iOS 5.

4. hugecanoli macrumors newbie

This is a great question because people switching over from a BB are spoiled by it's "Bedtime Mode".

Bedtime Mode, the blinking LED and BBM are the only things that I'm going to miss as a long-time BB user.

5. nbukrey macrumors member

Yep, this is definitely going to be a trade off for me.. In the BB world you can pretty much customize every notification!

6. Al1n macrumors member

Al1n

You'll end up selling your iPhone.:) Been there, done that.

The sweet-spot for me it's Blackberry Bold (9000, best keyboard) and iPad 3G.;)

7. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

Bummer. Oh well, thanks anyway guys.

If anyone comes across a fix for this (??) please post it here.

8. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

There is absolotly no customizing without jailbreaking. So in order for any hope at doing this you should jailbreak then possibly code a tweak in the notifications system. BTW if you jailbreak get BiteSMS for the quick reply.

9. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

i feel the same way , i hope they update this soon as it would be very useful.

10. GetSwole37 macrumors member

don't u just go to settings, notifications = off. this turns off all notifications for all apps, or u can select individually. am I missing something? other than maybe having a feature that you could set time when you want this to happen. I found that badges is best way for notifications. I look at my phone often enough and I don't feelthe need to play words as soon as I get notified.

11. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

Sure, that would work. As long as you don't mind doing this every single morning and every single night -- for as long as you own your phone! :rolleyes:

12. Peterg2, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

Far be it for me to excuse the abysmal iOS notification system - it is appalling - but the app developers have known about these limitations for ages and seemingly most do not provide a means of turning off their notifications for a certain period etc.

I say most as there is Pushmail, an app that I use with my imap email accounts, which fully customizes how and when you are notified of new emails with great granularity. For example, my email notifications are turned off between midnight and 7 am (although they are stored in the app when you unlock the screen).