Any way to turn off second HDD in MBP(Superdrive conversion)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apw100, May 7, 2010.

1. apw100 macrumors regular

I want to replace the Superdrive on my MBP with an additional hard drive. I would really rather have an extra drive in my MBP instead of having to bring an external one with me. This drive will be used mostly for a scratch disk for Photoshop, file storage for FCP video and sound samples.

Is there any way to turn the drive off when I dont need to use it so that my battery life won't take a hit?

2. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

Most likely ejecting it will stop it spinning, like any other hard drive.

3. apw100 thread starter macrumors regular

But if I ejected it how would I be able to mount it again without rebooting the system? Where would I find it? Sorry, but I'm brand new to OSX..

4. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

You can mount them again from the disk utility. Just click on "activate"

5. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

What about just telling the OS to let the drive sleep when not in use? There would be a slight delay if you tried to access the drive but that's better than hassle of mounting/unmounting.

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

I would think an AppleScript should be capable of doing this. I am very interested in this since i just installed a 160GB G2 Intel SSD in my new i7 15" MBP and moved the 500GB HDD to the optical bay. If anyone has done this or can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate sharing any info you might have.

7. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

would love to have a second hard drive in a MBP. Then again I am not comfortable with altering my computers internals (being thats its apple product). Besides I am approaching 5 tb of data, so where would another 2.5" drive really get me...

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

I have created two Automator applications that will mount/unmount the hard drive and then reflect that in Growl. You just need to open the applications in Automator and change the name of the volume that you want to mount/unmount and then change the description in Growl statement.

Automator apps for mounting and unmounting apps

These were just something quick that I worked up. I am sure that the apps can be improved on and am welcome to improvements/suggestions. One improvement I would like to see is some sort of verification.

9. cpak macrumors newbie

I too am looking for a way to "force sleep" my HDD when I don't use it. Any new ideas on this?

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

How about you read the thread in which you are posting. :confused:

11. jsilas macrumors regular

This is what I do - works like a charm. The time spent waiting for the disk to spin up is negligible, but then again, I only use the disk to store movies/music/photos. When prices drop though, I'll likely upgrade my primary drive to a 512GB SSD and get rid of the platter drive altogether.

12. stefan384 macrumors newbie

how do you tell the computer to put the hdd to sleep when its not in use?

13. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Just set it in settings>energy saver

Just set it in settings>energy saver

Attached Files:

14. gmoegmoegmoe macrumors newbie

gmoegmoegmoe

brand, its 404 now. do you have a new link? thx