Any way to turn off the thumb rest "feature"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robotmonkey, Jun 13, 2010.

1. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

This is the 5th macbook pro I have gone through... ALL of the ones at best buy have had some sort of scratch out of the box. However, the one on this one is barley noticeable so I have been dealing with it. However, I just noticed that the very bottom of the trackpad, maybe as much as a quarter of an inch, is unresponsive when you start in that area, but seems to work if you start anywhere else in the trackpad and then go into that area. Anyone else have that issue??? Anybody know a remedy??? Apple seriously needs to up their quality, every MBP I have had so far has had something wrong with it and I have had this one for two weeks so there is no way they would buy that it came like that.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Pretty sure that's normal. It's the same on mine at least- you can't start movement from the bottom of the trackpad but you can continue movement to the bottom of the trackpad.

3. robotmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

.....it's annoying :rolleyes:

4. robotmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

5. piwi macrumors regular

6. DoorMouse macrumors member

this is what i do- my thumb (which i use to click) is always resting on the bottom of the trackpad- it would be very annoying if this caused the arrow to move.

7. smelly cat macrumors regular

smelly cat

i fretted about this for a while too. Then I went to the Apple store and all the display models did the same thing. lol

8. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Same with mine. Haven't even noticed til now.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

My mb does this too. Don't worry about it

My thread I had on this very issue;)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=899449&highlight=

10. toffa813 macrumors regular

Haven't noticed this until now. May drive me crazy now that I know about it.:mad:

11. robotmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

HAHAHA I'm sorry

I guess it's a useful feature for people that wanna rest their thumb down there....I just don't see the point and I want the option to turn it off

12. spencer elliott macrumors member

spencer elliott

i havent noticed any annoyances with mine yet

anyone else using the "tap to click" feature...?

since having it on the HP notebook i use at work i cant do without it

13. robotmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Any way to turn off the thumb rest "feature"?

I can not stand the "feature" :apple: was kind enough to add to their trackpads that makes it so you can't start at the bottom of the trackpad. I have been trying to deal with it, but i can't. Half of the time when i need to move up I start there. Does anybody know of a program I can get that'll modify this?

14. Kevlar macrumors 6502

The entire trackpad should work as a track pad. Anywhere from the bottom too about 4/5 of the way up you should be able to click it as a button. I am not sure what exactly you are calling the thumb rest feature....

15. oyebto macrumors regular

not sure wad you mean, but the lower part of the trackpad doesnt feel as sensitive to the top areas.

16. robotmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

I already created a thread about this and found that every macbook has this same issue... or "feature" I guess.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=935565&highlight=

Try starting in the very bottom of your track pad, like only the first 1/8 or 1/4 inch. You will notice that it will not register any movement. However, if you start somewhere else and go into that area, you will find it does work. This is a "feature" apple put in so people can rest their thumbs there without accidently moving the pointer. Some like this cause they're used to having a button there, but I HATE IT. I know that there are many ways to modify the trackpad, I just don't know if there is a way to modify it so the bottom works even if you start there.

17. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

I think the reason is because your thumb in not facing down when you are touching the trackpad its not registering any movement.

If you rest you thumb face down at the bottom. When you start moving your thumb up it will recognize your thumb and move the mouse.

18. PinkLuxe macrumors member

I agree with this because if you try it with any other finger it works perfectly fine.

19. robotmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, any skin will not work for what looks like 1/4 of an inch. Look at the link that goes to my previous thread, you will see that this exists on all macbook pro's (and I guess the new unibody macbook too, but idk for sure). I am talking about the large, glass, buttonless trackpad.

20. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

To me that is a good feature. I like to rest my thumb there and it was a concern that was making me weary of upgrading to a newer MBP. So this is good news.

21. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I thought it was so that you could do a (physical) click and drag operation without the trackpad sensing it as a scroll or a zoom gesture. Come to think of it I use it as a thumb rest (because I can then click immediately with my thumb if needed).

22. Corsairkid macrumors member

I use the tap to click feature as well. It is much quieter and easier to do than clicking the trackpad. Plus, my friend's mbp had some issues with the click, apparently it was just normal wear and tear. So the less I can click mine, the better.

23. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Tap to click is the FIRST think I disable on any new computer, or if I'm doing tech support on a friend's computer. It's annoying; it's too easy to accidentally tap and open something. Thank God you can turn it off.

24. iMacmatician macrumors 601

That's also the case with me…that's why I'm glad the unibody glass trackpads still have a physical click.