Any way to upgarde the SSD in the MBA 11"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by moey2k2001, Dec 4, 2013.

1. moey2k2001 macrumors member

Hi there

I got myself the MBA 11" with 256GB SSD and was wondering is there a way I could upgrade? I know that Apple says no cuz it's soldered but perhaps anyone has any ideas?

I also came across "tiny" USB drices but due to the fact that I am always using both USB drives I bought myself a thunderbolt drive with a capacity of 1TB. The problem is that certain software such as Traktor doesn't accept the files by simply drag and drop, I'd have to copy files onto the MBA and then I could use them which is in other ways useless.

Please, any tips would be appreciated.

Thnx

MOE

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Click this.

The Air does not have a soldered SSD - it is removable. At this point in time, nobody is making replacement SSDs for the 2013 Air. However, OWC always manages to come out with new ones for updated Airs a few months after their release. Give them time.

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

But even when they do offer one, it will be expensive. The 480GB SSD for the 2012 MBA is almost $600. It may make more economic sense to sell your computer and buy another with the 512GB SSD. That's what I with my 2011 256GB MBA. :)

4. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

HHHmmm, I don't have any experience with the air as in the hardware itself as it is my 1st air. From what I gathered when I 1st bought it was that they told me that it were soldered or I might have misunderstood or read...

Also the component step 6 on the link you posted is the SSD itself or it there something else soldered to it except the SSD? [/COLOR]The RAM is soldered though...??

If so, that would mean I could probably manage to change it myself since it is not really soldered or are there any downsides?

----------

Well you might be right but I usually tend to keep my notebooks 2-4 years at least. I don't necessarily need to have the brand newest product out there since the CPU is usually more than enough for the time. Come to think about it, I could purchase the 512 or perhaps larger and sell the one that I'd remove from MBA.

Not worth it to sell my MBA since I have habit of "protecting" it and I always buy the invisible shield stickers and spend over 2-3 hours trying to perfect the placement. If I sell it I'd already make a loss of the invisible shield :p:D;)

----------

5. robvas macrumors 68020

You can look for a larger OEM drive on eBay. When I bought my 13" I just switched drives with my 11" as soon as I took it out of the box. I didn't have to re-install or clone everything over.

6. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to invest in some kind of portable external storage?

7. robvas macrumors 68020

Sure - but who wants to carry a portable drive around all the time?

8. Robyr macrumors regular

Completely off topic, but your User# is awesome. 68k :D

9. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

Where do I get an OEM drive compatible with the new 11" model? From what I've gather is that SSD & RAM are soldered together on the same component. Say if I'd want to upgrade, I'd have to get an OEM drive with the SSD size and RAM size I want, right? :confused::confused::confused:

I haven't got much experience in the new tech stuff... My last MBP was from 2010 and upgrading was easier.

I got a portable Thunderbolt 1 TB HD, a very good one. Can't use USB as my 2X USB ports are in use when I am working. And the thing with thunderbolt is that certain software don't accept drag & drop files from thunderbolt for some reason. I have to copy it 1st onto the MBA SSD...:rolleyes:

THNX 4 the input. ;)

----------

+1 :p

10. robvas macrumors 68020

I don't know what you are reading but the SSD has never been soldered on in the Air.

You can find OEM drives for sale on forums and eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-OEM-S...?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item2332f72fc1

You will need a pentalobe screwdriver to remove the bottom cover of your Air and a very small Torx driver to remove the screw that holds the drive onto the logic board.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think the OP's problem with these OEM flash drives from eBay will be the size. Most (all?) of the eBay OEM drives were pulled from an Air because a larger drive was put in its place. OP already has a 256GB drive and wants a 512GB drive. There isn't anything to upgrade to if you already have a 512GB drive, so I am not seeing how any of the 512GB drives the OP wants would end up on eBay. Am I missing something?

12. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

What I"m looking for is a 512 GB SSD. And to be able to keep my 8 GB RAM. But from the pics I see the RAM soldered.... :confused::confused::confused:

----------

I got 256 GB & 8 GB RAM by the way.

13. abz1981 macrumors 65816

I don't get it. Whats with the username? :confused:

14. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Maybe the above is it ...

My guess is that Robyr clicked on the wrong post...

15. robvas macrumors 68020

Here's one right here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AppleSamsun...961?pt=Hard_Drive_Pouches&hash=item20dc41fa81

Don't forget that laptops get broken and water spilled on them so there are plenty of parts donors out there.

16. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

Great! :D
    Thnx a million. You're awesome. ;););)

I"m a bit confused though. Where's the RAM then?
    What about RAM? I would't be able to upgrade that, say the possibility arises for a 16GB option?

17. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

18. fark macrumors regular

No offense, then you should be thinking twice about opening up your MBA.

You also don't seem to be clear on RAM versus SSD.

1. The RAM, aka memory, is not upgradable.
    2. The SSD is upgradable with the OWC product or a donor SSD from another MBA.

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

20. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

I'm still curious whether it were worth it in general to "upgrade" the laptop in time by one's own? Such as everything, CPU, GhZ and and... A-Z basically... Suppose it were, would you consider upgrading or just ditching the old product for a new would be cheaper I guess right?

Any insights on that?

21. mpantone macrumors 6502

I have an 11" MacBook Air 2013 and I plan on using it until the battery no longer holds a consistent charge. At that point, I will consider either having the battery replaced by a local authorized Mac repair shop so I can continue using it until Apple stops making operating system software for this computer, or ditching it for a new model.

If I do decide to get the battery replaced, I will consider at that time upgrading the SSD module to a larger capacity (since the repair shop is going to crack open the case anyhow).

My MBA is not my primary computer, so I really don't have to ponder this for a good three years.

Note: I also have a white MacBook (late 2006) that has received upgraded RAM, disk (now sporting an SSD), and a new battery. It's a seven-year-old computer running a two-year-old operating system that runs better than the day I bought it. Impressive. My guess is that the next thing to go will be the LCD backlight; once that goes, I'll say goodbye to this faithful old MacBook.

22. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

Well I'd certainly do the same or at least tend to. I'm not familiar with how long replacement parts "evolve". I know that they have a 512 GB SSD, and I would hope that perhaps they would come up with a 1TB that would be replaceable...

23. iterva macrumors regular

RAM upgrade on Air is not possible, ram is soldered.

Have a look at www.ifixit.com for a Air teardown where they show all the internals and how to remove ssd, and what parts are replaceble. This is also where you can see the whole RAM "issue" also.

24. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I do, and it's a piece of cake. Just slide it into my Timbuk2 messenger bag and off I go. :) To be honest I carry 2 or 3 external drives with me when I'm travelling / away from the home office.