Any way to upgrade the video card?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hilm, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Hilm macrumors newbie

Yeah, basically is there any way to do it? I realise it's souldered in but is there any USB Video cards with a hack to ignore the one instaled that anyone knows of? I'd really like to upgrade it to beyond a standard Video card...

Thanks
    Adam.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

In what computer? Might be useful here...

The answer will be "No," but I'd like to know what computer you want to upgrade...

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Not if it's a Mac Pro or some variety of Power Mac.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

He's made multiple identical threads about this. I think he means a MacBook Pro.

But you can upgrade the Mac Pro's card. You can use any card you want... in Windows. I believe that some Hackintosh drivers for cards work in OS X, as well.

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Or you can just buy an officially supported card from Apple.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes, well... What if they want* a GeForce 9800 to run in OS X? Or if they prefer* the GTX/Ultra over the GT? Or if they like* ATI and want a 3870x2? They'd need the Hackintosh drivers for said cards to run them in OS X.

Oh, and OP, please only post in the forum that pertains to your question. Asking for MacBook Pro help in the Mac Pro/iMac forums won't get you far.

*These verbs are synonymous with stupid. I agree with you wholeheartedly; the 8800 GT is more than you'd need for a long time.

7. sidharth80 macrumors member

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes; buy a newer MacBook. Or, "No," if you can't do that. It's soldered on.

9. Hilm thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok basically I have a newish macbook and it cant even play dvd's as it says it's using a "standard vga card"

Im assuming im missing some driver, even after installing bootcamp?

Anyone know which video card is installed in 2.4 dual macbook pro's so I can hunt for drivers for it plz?

Thanks!

10. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Hey man, why don't you read before you post?

11. weckart macrumors 68040

You used to be able to buy external PCMCIA video cards for Powerbook G3s. I remember one being demoed at MacExpo in London a few years back.

I think this was the one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Viewsonic/VTBOOK/

So it is not outside the bounds of possibility. I think that demand would not be high enough these days for this sort of thing.

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

The 2.4Gb MacBook Pro has a nVidia GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB VRAM.
    There's no need to hunt for drivers.. see below...

If your using Leopard.. then insert the DVD into the MacBook while your in Windows XP.. and it should start to install the MacBook's system drivers. Reading through the thread, it sounds like you've not installed any of the system drivers, only the Windows OS - which doesn't help... cause Windows still doesn't know what's in your system.

If your OS is Tiger, then you'll need to create Windows drivers DVD by booting into MacOSX and launching the Bootcamp application. You'll need a blank CDR or DVDR for this. Once you have the Disc burnt, just reboot into windows and insert the disk... It'll install all the requires system drivers.

:rolleyes: