Any way to use 2 external monitors with MBP 13" 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by InfernoUk, May 29, 2011.

1. InfernoUk macrumors 6502

Hey guys getting a new 13" pro on wednesday, i already have 2 external 24" screens i use with my desktop so wondered if theres anyway i can use them both with the laptop? or would only 1 work, not sure as i dont have the laptop yet and have never tried it before.

Thanks for any help with this as it would be great to get it running across 2-3 screens.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Well you only get one external video port (the mini displayport) but since they have made that port also the Thunderbolt port, something like that might be possible, but only with a thunderbolt supported monitor I assume.

3. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

ah ok i thought that might be the case, im not rebuying displays just for thunderbolt so looks like ill probably have to use just one of them

4. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I've had one of those for a while, but branded as Diamond MM. Same chip.

It works great, depending on what you expect the display attached to it to do. It can't do video smoothly and it can't load a custom calibration profile. For static stuff it's great. I use mine for a portrait orientated Loupe View in Lightroom. I still rely on the main display for editing and correcting, but it's quite a luxury to see a portrait photo on a 24" monitor on it's end. Browsing like that is pretty cool, too.

5. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

So is it pretty hurky jerky in general or is it only noticeable when watching video?
    Like for example, if you trigger exposé with a bunch of windows open, does it work smoothly?

6. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

There are two other options. There are two pieces of hardware that trick the mac into thinking two displays are one.

Matrox DualHead2Go DP ~$225

&

CinemaView Duo ~$150

I know for sure the CinemaView (the cheaper option) requires two of the exact same display and the Matrox may allow for two different displays with the same resolution.. not sure on that one.

7. johnnj macrumors 6502a

No, in general is it's not jerky. If you grab a window and move it around it's not as smooth as on the actual display out, but I generally don't do that when I'm actually using it.

Video isn't smooth, but it's also not horrible. I've watched plenty of Netflix streaming videos that are worse. It depends on how much action there is in the video. Browsing is smoothing scrolling up and down. I'm not an Expose user. I only use Spaces and I put stuff in certain desktops. I did just open a bunch of windows like you asked and then hit the Expose button. I guess it's ok. I don't have anything to compare it to.

I had looked in to the Matrox thing when I first started wanting to do this with the 2nd monitor. The problem was that it wouldn't do the main-landscape + 2nd-portrait that I wanted to do. I had no use for a really wide desktop. I ended up getting the EVGA device that was based on the previous version of the displaylink chip, but that wouldn't do 1900x1200.

So, it really depends on what you want to do with the 2nd monitor. If you want a really wide desktop, then one of the devices that Tasselhawf mentioned would probably be better for you. If you want more flexibility with the 2nd monitor in terms of orientation or resolution, then I think that for right now the USB thing is the only game in town.

8. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

[QUOTE=johnnj;12650040]No, in general is it's not jerky. If you grab a window and move it around it's not as smooth as on the actual display out, but I generally don't do that when I'm actually using it.

Video isn't smooth, but it's also not horrible. I've watched plenty of Netflix streaming videos that are worse. It depends on how much action there is in the video. Browsing is smoothing scrolling up and down. I'm not an Expose user. I only use Spaces and I put stuff in certain desktops. I did just open a bunch of windows like you asked and then hit the Expose button. I guess it's ok. I don't have anything to compare it to.

I had looked in to the Matrox thing when I first started wanting to do this with the 2nd monitor. The problem was that it wouldn't do the main-landscape + 2nd-portrait that I wanted to do. I had no use for a really wide desktop. I ended up getting the EVGA device that was based on the previous version of the displaylink chip, but that wouldn't do 1900x1200.

So, it really depends on what you want to do with the 2nd monitor. If you want a really wide desktop, then one of the devices that Tasselhawf mentioned would probably be better for you. If you want more flexibility with the 2nd monitor in terms of orientation or resolution, then I think that for right now the USB thing is the only game in town.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot for the input.

I'm in a similar boat in that I have different sized monitors running different resolutions.

What I'd be using it for would basically be the mixer windows of my recording software. So there would be some animations (the meters) moving up and down that need to be fairly responsive. Though it's not like I'm going to be watching video through it or something.

I think you're right, the USB option is probably the best existing bet out there ATM.

I wish somebody would hurry the hell up and put out a Thunderbolt hub that would run 2+ displays.

9. johnnj macrumors 6502a

No problem.

Not sure if the device would be too slow for meter animations. If you already have the 2nd monitor, I'd just go for the USB thing and give it a shot. It's not that much money and it might be of some use.

Agreed about the TB two display thing. I'd buy that in a minute if it could drive two 1920x1200 displays in whatever way I wanted.