Any way to use an Xbox live headset with my Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ubuntu, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Hi there,

I've been looking for a headset, and I quite like my XBL one, so I wondered if there was any way to hook it up to my computer. Its wired, but the wireless one is an option if that works.

There is a method for windows, but this does not support mac, as far as I know.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows/dp/B000MGVAAQ

So, anyone had any luck?

Thanks.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

You most likely have to find drivers for use with it for the Mac, which there doesn't seem to be any for the 360 headset (for the wireless version at least).

The way the wired version plugs in I think it uses a 2.5mm jack, so you might possibly be able to purchase a 2.5->3.5mm adapter from somewhere and plug it into the microphone port on your Mac. However, as the Mic/Headphone ports are separate I don't know if it will be fully functional as you might get just sound or mic support if plugged into one or the other. It's cheap enough to test out yourself, and it's always handy to have adapters lying around if it doesn't work.

The wireless accessories from MS for the 360 aren't actually bluetooth so you would need that wireless adapter in order to use them with a computer, however, I don't know if you would need drivers in order to get that thing to function on the Mac either. I doubt MS makes anything so it would be up to third party devs to make it work for the Mac. I know there are drivers out there that can make the 360 wired controller work for Mac.