Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2023
Is there any way to use an Air 2011 for any thing at all? It has High Sierra 10.13.6 and Apple won't update it any more. My first choice would be to somehow use it for Linux since I've been wanting to switch anyway. Can I replace the entire OS with Linux? Keep the 10.13.6 and install a VM or something to run Linux? Get some security thing to keep using 10.13.6 safely, or does Apple go in and disable everything? I only need it for simple things that computers did in 2000 if not 1995 so there has to be a way - really basic word processing, spreadsheets, web surfing, play *non-streaming* videos and music, that's it. It'd be environmentally reprehensible to throw it in the garbage.

Intel Core i7 1.8 Ghz, 4 Gb

Last edited:

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
IMG_1297.jpeg

Does it do anything? I know it's not Apple but I have an old Alienware M11x from 2010 and it is still a very decent internet machine and is capable of displaying any modern website and smoothly stream videos on YouTube and Netflix. I am sure your ancient MBA can do the same.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Throw in the garbage is never the correct answer. If nothing else there's always a vintage computer enthusiast that'll take it off your hands. But just because you're not getting security updates doesn't mean it can't be used - I just wouldn't use it for anything sensitive.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Is there any way to use an Air 2011 for any thing at all?

An option to extend the life of some Macs that no longer receive updates from Apple, as long as you are not staunchly opposed to Google products, is ChromeOS Flex.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Google, especially its privacy practices, but I've been seriously considering putting Flex on an old MacBook Pro once it is formally declared obsolete. I would then use the laptop like a burner mobile phone: stripped down and clean of anything important or sensitive.

makes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2023
If nothing else there's always a vintage computer enthusiast that'll take it off your hands. But just because you're not getting security updates doesn't mean it can't be used - I just wouldn't use it for anything sensitive.
I'm hoping one of those enthusiasts is around here to let me know what my options are. This is a computer that someone's giving to me and he's giving me the impression that as time goes by fewer and fewer things work. Not hardware breaking but Apple makes things stop working if they're not updated or something like that. I'm not a Mac person, I know nothing about Macs but I have extensive experience keeping a 12 year old Windows computer running fast, smooth and secure and I know with Windows Microsoft makes it *seem* like software and firmware just plain stops working but if you know what you're doing you can get around all that. I have no idea if you have that much control with Macs.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You can spend several hours either trying out Linux distros or using the Opencore Legacy Patcher to put a more recent macOS version on there (your low RAM would be an issue running those, I think).

I run Ventura on my 2008 MacBook, with the documented limitations, with OCLP but I do have 8GB RAM.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
>Can I replace the entire OS with Linux?

Yes you can. See https://code.likeagirl.io/linux-ubuntu-installation-steps-on-old-macbook-air-mid-2012-2ba85d397239

>Keep the 10.13.6 and install a VM or something to run Linux

No. A VM would require half the computer resources. It won't be efficient or usable. Do it bare metal.

> Get some security thing to keep using 10.13.6 safely, or does Apple go in and disable everything

I think there are some ways to install later versions of MacOS on the MacBook Air. I haven't done it though. it will get security patches, but things, like wifi cards, may not work. See https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/install-macos-catalina-unsupported-mac/ for more information

> really basic word processing, spreadsheets, web surfing, play *non-streaming* videos and music

The only reason you need to update the operating system would be web surfing. Honestly, if you have a hardware firewall, and you don't download questionable things, and you use a modern web browser (I don't know what that would be though), I don't see a reason why you would need to update your operating system honestly.

makes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2023
An option to extend the life of some Macs that no longer receive updates from Apple, as long as you are not staunchly opposed to Google products, is ChromeOS Flex.
I'm also not a fan of Google but I'd consider this as a last resort. ChromeOS seems like it's probably just a glorified version of Android with all the limitations that entails compared to a real OS such as Windows, Linux or macOS, is that correct?

makes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2023
Thanks, will look into this.
The only reason you need to update the operating system would be web surfing. Honestly, if you have a hardware firewall, and you don't download questionable things, and you use a modern web browser (I don't know what that would be though), I don't see a reason why you would need to update your operating system honestly.
That's just it. When you try to find out about security people make it seem like even sites like Amazon or New York Times carry malware that will make your computer explode and burn down your house and I always wonder if this is really directed at the kind of uninformed people who enter their social security number at Russian gambling sites. As for email I pretty much never click on anything not least because my work and friends essentially never send links and for banking and shopping I always start at the official website, never from email links.

Reactions: LelandHendrix

RokinAmerica

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2022
I have a 2011 iMac that I ran either POP or Zorin OS (Linux) on last year. I have it up on a shelf in storage so can't recall exactly which one I liked best on it.

I did not keep Mac OS on it when I did that, although in the past I have ran Linux on a partition on my windows OS drive and ran as a dual boot system.

Reactions: zapmymac

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Not hardware breaking but Apple makes things stop working if they're not updated or something like that. I'm not a Mac person
I doubt that hearsay that Apple makes things stop working. Better IMO might be to say that newer OS/apps at some point no longer work well with older hardware/firmware/RAM limitations. Many early MBAs were also slow as hell even with everything new; too slow for me to tolerate even then.

I have a loaded 2011 17" MBP on a shelf with no broken hardware except for broken mass storage and a lame battery not worth replacing, and that MBP is far stronger than the MBA you reference. Personally IMO an old MBA is not worth the time/effort even if there is nothing actually broken in a 12 yo lowest-end Apple box. Just take it to Apple to recycle.

The exception would be if one needs to run legacy deprecated software like More or MacProject that one really needed, and communicate with modern boxes via sneakernet if necessary. I always wished I had maintained an old Mac for that purpose instead of letting thousands of hours of work product go away.

makes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2023
If I had that machine I’d Linux Mint the crap out of it. The hardware is still more than capable of doing plenty of things when not burdened with a heavy OS.
This is the third vote for installing Linux so I'm leaning towards that. My question is, is there any way to break the MBA or cause irreversible damage when doing this? If so how do you do a factory reset? I'm used to Windows where if something went horribly wrong (or even just every couple years for a good housecleaning) it's no problem to reinstall the OS any time to its factory condition,you just pop in the CD, nothing to it. (I have zero Mac experience and have no idea how people reinstall mac OSs. I picture them paying an authorized repair shop $700 or something.)

makes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2023
What about the patches of dosdude1?
That looks really good, except that my hardware (I suppose RAM, possibly processor) may not be adequate, which one or two other people mentioned, so if I decide to go this route (leaning toward Linux though) I will look into it.

Last edited:

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
I quit wasting my time with old technology years ago. I would save it up for something then try to use it let’s say as a home server for movies to stream to TV. I found that it never worked the way I wanted. The WiFi sucked. The CPU or GPU was so limited or the drive so slow that it just didn’t help me. Especially considering RAM limitations that change over twelve years.

Here’s what I would do. Do a complete removal of your data. Fresh install an OS. Give it to a kid, an elderly neighbor, or something like that. And teach them how to use it and setup an email account, if they want social media, and I think for many people most importantly iMessages. A child has a better tool with an old laptop than an iPhone they just get addicted to.

If you don’t want to deal with it. Recycle it.

Cheers.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

makes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2023
On the one hand this looks great, maybe a way to rescue old computers. On the other hand they don't actually say that or tell you want Elementary is. I dug through the entire site, at length, and there's literally not a single word explaning what it is, so you have to conclude it's some sort of insidery tech bro-y god-knows-what but whatever it is they're apparently not interested in having people like me use it and so I'll have to find my solution elsewhere.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
This is the third vote for installing Linux so I'm leaning towards that. My question is, is there any way to break the MBA or cause irreversible damage when doing this? If so how do you do a factory reset? I'm used to Windows where if something went horribly wrong (or even just every couple years for a good housecleaning) it's no problem to reinstall the OS any time to its factory condition,you just pop in the CD, nothing to it. (I have zero Mac experience and have no idea how people reinstall mac OSs. I picture them paying an authorized repair shop $700 or something.)
Yes you will want to create a bootable USB installer. Installing Linux will install a new boot loader called GRUB. I managed to bork my entire machine trying to remove said bootloafer. Had to boot from my USB installer, wipe the drive, and start over. But that’s cuz I was trying to tinker with things. So it’s not likely you’ll wreck it if you follow the directions, but it is possible.

Reactions: zapmymac and makes

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
What is wrong with just running it with High Sierra?

As far as I know High Sierra can access all Apple services (iTunes, movies, podcasts, books, etc). Mail works fine. iCloud works fine. You can download a compatible version of office from Microsoft or if you have iWorks in your purchase history you can download an old version of that from Apple. As for web browsing, Firefox still supports High Seirra in their extended releases.

I have a Mac Pro that I run with MacOS 10.12 Sierra. Works fine for me.

Edit: it is worth noting that those old MacBook Airs were not particularly powerful when they came out. So don’t expect to much umph from them.

Siliconguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2022
If I had that machine I’d Linux Mint the crap out of it. The hardware is still more than capable of doing plenty of things when not burdened with a heavy OS.
The XCFE version of Mint should be well within its capacities. It even runs on a 2009 Mini with a Core 2 Duo. What size is the SSD?

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Before you bother with wrangling a Linux distro onto that you should check that what you want to do on it will work.

For example…Back when I tried on this old MacBook I found that I couldn't stream Xfinity TV in any Linux browser nor could I figure out a workaround.

blodyholy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2012
Iowa
Is there any way to use an Air 2011 for any thing at all? It has High Sierra 10.13.6 and Apple won't update it any more. My first choice would be to somehow use it for Linux since I've been wanting to switch anyway. Can I replace the entire OS with Linux? Keep the 10.13.6 and install a VM or something to run Linux? Get some security thing to keep using 10.13.6 safely, or does Apple go in and disable everything? I only need it for simple things that computers did in 2000 if not 1995 so there has to be a way - really basic word processing, spreadsheets, web surfing, play *non-streaming* videos and music, that's it. It'd be environmentally reprehensible to throw it in the garbage.

Intel Core i7 1.8 Ghz, 4 Gb
Oddly enough, I just saw your post immediately after watching this video. Might be worth a watch for what you're intending:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.