Any way to zoom font?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Hustler, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

I have a bookmarked shortcut that if you save it as a bookmark and select it, it increases the font size on your current page, more so the more you click the bookmark.

javascript:var%20p=document.getElementsByTagName('*');for(i=0;i%3Cp.length;i++)%7Bif(p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize)%7Bvar%20s=parseInt(p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize.replace(%22px%22,%22%22));%7Delse%7Bvar%20s=12;%7Ds+=2;p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize=s+%22px%22%7D

This is the link for those interested, but I would love a way to make it a permanent link that loaded with every web page, until I select it off. The only way I know to activate it is to load the webpage, then click the bookmark link and I get zoomed font. Problem is whenever the page is reloaded or goes to the next webpage, font goes back to normal.

Any suggestions?

2. Hustler thread starter macrumors 6502

Hustler

I have several other browsers too, photon, chrome, puffin...I got my hopes up because in photon, there is an option to increase font in settings. It only increases it for the current viewed page, as soon as you reload or click forward to next page, its back to default.

3. Hustler thread starter macrumors 6502

Hustler

4. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Regardless of the bump (which is against MR forum rules, BTW), I also like to increase font size (older eyes but not ready for readers). I use Atomic Browser and have since 2009. Increasing font size is allowed and setting the increased size as the default for page OR site is also allowed. There hasn't been an app update in a while and I keep expecting each iOS upgrade to tank it, but so far, so good. (You can also have tabs or not.)

5. Hustler thread starter macrumors 6502

Hustler

Whoops didn't know about the bump rule (my bad), but thank you for the info on that browser. I'll have to give it a try!!

6. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Please post your results. I don't use any other browser if given a choice. I especially like it on iPads.

7. Hustler thread starter macrumors 6502

Hustler

So I've tried using it for a little bit now, and I have some questions. I assume you have the paid version? I'm demoing the light version and the font zoom does not save when reloading pages. Also I have a question for you, does atomic (paid) save login Id's and passwords like safari does?

Thanks for the advice!
    Brad

8. lelisa13p, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014

lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I do have the paid version but I think it's because I've had it for so long. IIRC, when I first got it in 2009, I think it was free.

Logins & passwords were saving thru iOS 7. I've noticed that since upgrading to iOS 8, the prompt box that asked if you wanted to save login info (and when touched, filled in that same saved into) is missing. Remember how I said that I keep waiting for the iOS upgrade that'll kill it? Saved logins is the only feature that I've noticed being adversely affected by iOS 8. I just (in mid-post) tested it on my iPad Mini-R to double check. I went looking for an update after iOS 8 was released but there didn't seem to be one; I checked at the dev's website, too. I wish he'd fix the login/password glitch.

Also, when I view the Saved Logins/PWs in Settings, they are still listed there. It's just that they're being blocked or something and the browser can no longer access them, in addition to there being no button to Save the info after initially entering it. The only thing different about the entire situation is iOS 8.

9. Hustler thread starter macrumors 6502

Hustler

Well I appreciate all the information for this browser. That is unfortunate about the saved password information though. If it had that (and worked on ios8) I could see me buying the app and transferring all my bookmarks from work into it and using it for work. As it works now though, it would be mainly used for casual web browsing in my mini retina for things like macrumors and the such. I'm going to reach out to the dev and see if he had any ideas on the passwords not importing even though there is a settings feature for it.
    I will update with any news I find.
    Again,
    Thanks a lot!

10. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I wish you good luck with the dev, for the both of us. :)

11. Hustler thread starter macrumors 6502

Hustler

Well they've been emailed, for a few days now...but still no word back.
    Guess I won't be holding my breath for a solution lol.

12. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I'm not surprised. I had previously emailed for support regarding tabs while using Atomic on iPhone 6/iOS 8. That was in September and no response to date. Bah.

13. Hustler thread starter macrumors 6502

Hustler

Well, still no update from that dev, but I did find that the mercury browser does SAVE zoom settings.
    I'll have to update my bookmarks from my work sites into this browser, save my log ins, and see if that works also. I'll report back with results.

Brad

14. Hustler, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015

Hustler thread starter macrumors 6502

Hustler

Mercury does not save logins and passwords unfortunately, even though it does have 'autofill feature' turned on.
    Would be nice to have a browser that would do it all!

====
    Edit, it DOES save passwords if you turn off split keyboard, the save/fill buttons are on the keyboard

15. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

16. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm using Mercury and it is the best browser on iOS in my opinion